Did you mean: 

Daily Pledge, Bonfires and Quit Celebrations: Traditions born from the members

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

March Daily Pledge 2023

Jump to solution

52632iE7D13E4F01695193

Welcome - to the first, or hundred and first, or one thousand and first day of your quit!

In the beginning of our journeys we need to form a pact, make a promise, a commitment with ourselves to not do something we’ve done for perhaps many years.  Whether it’s smoke, vape, chaw, snus - engage in some habitual form of nicotine consumption.  Even NRTs can become addictive with constant overuse if directions aren't followed.

At first we can feel a bit like fish out of water, flopping around in a strange environment and we need to take a helping hand more often, vow more strongly and gather strength from the other fish around us.  In the beginning we especially need to be very attentive to our commitment and hold ourselves accountable.  But as we progress, that need lessens.  Happily.  But still we’ll come back once a day or week or whenever we need to (when that sudden emotional craving moment smacks us) in order to reinforce our commitment and keep our quits safe.  Or simply to offer a hand in support.

Come here whenever you need to.  Take the hand offered by the person before you.  It could be the hand of someone on their first day.  How thrilling is THAT!  And each time you reach out with your other hand for the next quitter know that you're  proclaiming “Yes, I can! And so can YOU!”  

We’re all on this journey together.  And there is strength and beauty in this shared commitment.  Bravo to us all!

How to pledge

1. Go to the last reply. It's likely on the last page (scroll down to the pagination and click the last number  (if 10 or less) or >> (if more than 10) on the right).
  2. Scroll to the bottom of the last page and look for the last response to see who pledged before you. Click the Reply button immediately below that post to grab the hand before you and offer your open hand to the next person.
  3. Start your post with the @ symbol and wait for a pop-up. The first username in the pop-up will be the last person to reply to the pledge. Select that username in the pop-up and then compose your reply. Click the Reply button below the text box when you're done to post your pledge.
    1. Alternatively you can pledge using the reply and quote buttons. Click for short video to learn how. 
  4. You've made your pledge.  Come back tomorrow and pledge again.
  5. Check out this handy quit calculator to calculate your DOF!  EX Quit Calculator or check out My EX Plan.

As you go through your day you know that you have these two people with you and all of you are keeping each other strong.  How cool is that! 

If these help you - use them.  If they don't - create your own.  (Thanks to @JimTaddeo  for finding them.)

The Daily Promises

Interested in volunteering to run the Daily Pledge? Send me a PM for more information.

Note: The above text has been provided by the EX Community from previously posted Daily Pledges and doesn't reflect the views or opinions of BecomeAnEX, Truth Initiative or the EX Team.
Photo by Glen Carrie

EX Community Admin Team
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
559 Replies
Haywardc

I gladly take your hand.I am a month  tobacco free and I could not have done it without the support from this program. I offer my hand to the next person 

BRWQUEEN7

Day 3. Pledging not to smoke this day.

Good morning it’s gonn be a good day

Barbscloud

@Ashleynicholle1 Welcome to the Ex and the Daily Pledge.

Barb

vicky_k

Hi @Barbscloud ,

I will gladly take your hand and pledge not to smoke today.  I will extend my other free hand to the next person in line

Gail561

Hi @vicky_k thanks for the hand and I choose not to smoke today. I offer my hand to the next one who joins us.

Steelers4

I will gladly take your hand and pledge not to smoke today. I will extend my other hand to the next person in in line.

SuzyQ411

Thanks for your hand of support @Steelers4 . I gratefully accept it in agreement to not smoke today. And I offer my free hand to the next one to pledge along with us. As for me, I choose to stop fighting against my quit as a life without cigarettes is a much better life for me.

MarilynH

I'll very happily take your hand @SuzyQ411 and pledge to remain Smokefree while EXtending my free hand to the next person in line. 

Marilyn 

jsilsby38

Quitting smoking is hard. But after a month you will see how it will make your life better. I thought I would fail because I have done it for so many years. But in saying that, I was ready. 1 month strong. Went to the gas station today to get antifreeze for my car because it's broke, needs a new water pump, I think. Asked how much a pack costs. Over 8.00. and that was the cheap ones. It's not worth it. Told myself when they got over 5 a pack I would quit. I didn't. But the money you save is worth it. Don't get me wrong I still think about smoking but I'm not going to let it control me. I am in control of myself.