cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily Pledge, Bonfires and Quit Celebrations: Traditions born from the members

Giulia

A New Year - A New Pledge

if you're here to (make a pledge) to quit because you've decided without any prior thought to do so - think again.  This is not just a place for end-of-the ear New Year's resolutions.  The "Oh I REALLY NEED TO QUIT SMOKING" cry and so "THIS YEAR I'll really DO IT!"  And "New Year's is the PERFECT TIME!."  We've all been there, attempted that.  For most of us that New Year's resolution was just a wishful thought based on hope and what our inner wisdom told us we should do for the benefit of our health.  It was a beautiful, but brief, emotional desire, supported by very little else than the "I SHOULD." 

Quitting takes so much more than that.  It  takes all sorts of thoughtful supportive measures.  It takes desire, yes, but desire is not the deciding factor.  Knowledge, dedication, commitment, sacrifice, homework, perseverance...  all the words we really don't want to hear.  That's what quitting takes.  Well, the lasting kind, anyway.   We want it to be easy.  We want to take a pill and awaken the next day craving free.  Doesn't happen.  YOU have to do the work necessary to achieve the success you want.  YOU have to make and take the time.  YOU have to learn and apply that learning and you may have to make some sacrifices along the way.  Are you willing?  It's an incredibly empowering journey.  You'll learn things about  yourself you never knew  And they are positively THRILLING! 

No, it's not an easy ride.  Smoking has consumed your days and twilights.  For YEARS.  It has consumed most of your being  in more ways than than you have even considered.  But you'll discover all that if you stick around and, well - just read.   In order to overcome this addiction, you have to consume something else.   A different mindset.  Your brain, unfortunately was sabotaged without your knowledge.  But knowledge will give you the keys necessary to unlock the door to your Freedom.  It's YOUR choice. 

What will you choose?

This is a one-day-at-a-time journey.  Get through today and you will find it will aid your tomorrow.  Each smoke-free day builds upon the next and adds strength and encouragement to those days which followl.

Those who have been a member of this group and have pledged daily, know the strength of this daily dose of commitment.  You do us all  honor every day.  Thank you.

I, Giulia,  pledge to remain smoke free this day as I have for the past 3,592 days.  Take my hand and don't be afraid.  It get's easier.  Really it does!  Rejoice!  Who will join me?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
125 Replies
TerrieQuit

Thanks for you hand Cory, I will hold it in mine as I pledge not to smoke this 24 hours, no matter what! I extend my free hand to the next person to pledge! Have a nice Day, You all!

Terrie  183  DOF

0 Kudos
Giulia

Got your hand, Terrie, thanks.  Happy to say I will not smoke this day - no matter what.  Promise!  Who's next to grab my other hand and say the same?...

0 Kudos
smorgy8513

It's me Giulia.      I will hold on as a pledge that I will not smoke today no matter what comes along.      I offer my other hand out to the next in line.       

How about this?

Sharon 884 DOF

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

Hello!

Sharon, I will very gladly hold your hand in mine as I promise not to smoke for this 24 hours and I offer my free hand to the next person in line to pledge!

Terrie  EXactly  6  months of freedom!  toot toot!

0 Kudos
Magstoyou

Good Morning all

I gladly take your hand Terrie - congrats on 6 months. I pledge to not smoke for

today no matter what and offer my free hand to the next in line to pledge!!

Mag at 904DOF

0 Kudos
smorgy8513

Good Morning.    Hi Mag, thanks for your hand.   I'll hold on as I pledge that I will not smoke today no matter what comes my way.    I'm holding out my other hand to the next in line.        Who would that be?????

Sharon 885 DOF

0 Kudos
NewEnglander

WOW!  Yesterday was the first time I could get on this site....what happened?

Good morning all.  Happy New Year!

Sharon, thanks for your hand.  I pledge not to smoke this day and offer my hand in support to the next person in line.

Victoria   135 DOF

0 Kudos
Magstoyou

Good Morning All

Good to see you Victoria and I gladly take your hand and promise not to smoke for today no matter what and offer my free hand to the next in line

Mag with 905 DOF

Happy new Year Victoria

0 Kudos
Giulia

OK, this is really boring.  How can we liven up this pledge group????    We've got under 10 people posting here daily.  This is sad and ridiculous and pointless.  I challenge you all to come up with ideas to make this pledge group exciting.   Don't YOU think it's boring???  "thanks I take your hand and I pledge to remain smoke free.."  I mean COME ON!   This isn't MY group.  I didn't create it.  I'm just trying to maintain it.  And it seems to me it's failing miserably.  So for all of you who come here and pledge - give me/us ideas to make it more enticing.  Same old, same old  ain't making ME excited to be here.  Do any of you want to take this over?  Mag?  Terrie?  Victoria?  Sharon?  

I mean I've done 12 months of it after Sheryl and it still ain't generating any new members so to speak.  What's the point???    There aren’t any new members coming in to pledge... you all don’t really need this to maintain your quits at this point....do you?

0 Kudos
smorgy8513

Good Morning.

Giulia, I agree with you.       I took over a few months when Sheryl left but it got to be too much with 2 days of Freedom Train per week.

I think making a Daily Pledge is important.      AND I think that there needs to be more people here, more excitement here, more variety here.      

If I were a brand new member and I came here I probably wouldn't come back.

Maybe if we did something like "make your pledge, share a distraction" or something.      We could have a different topic each day of the week.    Mondays: name a distraction, Tuesday:  name a reason to stay clean, etc.

Then I think we ALL have to be motivated to get a new person here each week....reach out, show someone YOU care and that there is a benefit of coming here.

I can't take it over......like I said I do 2 Freedom Trains each week and that takes time.

I would hate to see this end but it has to be more than 3-4 of us on here.

Other ideas people??????

BTW.....I have 886 DOF!

Sharon

0 Kudos