cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read a member curated list of EX Community content over 10+ years

Giulia

Craving Buster Technique

(Note:  this piece was first published in a blog by @aztec  back in 2012 called  Craving - EX Community    The original author april_ac was from another site.  Thank you Aztec for bringing it here!)

We interupt todays broadcast..for a test! (TRY THIS!)

Ok...especially you newbies...I want you to REALLY try this.

Don't give me that "AWWW Man!!" It's not a hard test!! More of an "exercise"!

I want you to stop what you are doing right now....and look around the room. Look at everything. Take your time. (Don't read any further until you do that.)

Now...I want you to look around the room AGAIN...and this time find all of the things that are RED. FOCUS on the things that are RED. REALLY look at them! (Don't read any further until you do that.)

This time....look around and find all of the things that are BLUE. Again...FOCUS on only the stuff that is Blue. REALLY look at them! (Don't read any further until you do that.)

Now....look around the room ONE more time. (Don't read any further until you do that.)

Did the things that were Red and BLUE stand out to you the most?? Probably! Know why? Because THAT is what you were FOCUSING on!

Do ya see where I'm going with this??

WHATEVER you focus on the MOST....is what will be stronger...stand out more....become MORE dominate. JUST LIKE CRAVINGS!! If you FOCUS for too long on the craving...it GETS STRONGER.

So...SHIFT your focus AWAY from the craving!

What do you mean you can't do that....that it's too hard??? You just DID IT in that little mental exercise a minute ago!!! How much were you focusing on smoking while you were looking around the room...focusing on the Red and Blue stuff?? Probably not much...if at ALL!

It DOES work.

While I don't crave cigarettes anymore...I do have other areas of my life where I use that exercise. Sometimes it's needed to RE-focus on the GOOD things I have...when I'm feeling down. It gets my mind AWAY from the "pity party" state.

Make this work for you. It's your quit....It's your life.

And it's worth fighting for!

Thanks for playing along!! You may now go back to your regularly scheduled programs!

Labels (2)
220 Replies
Kamella

I’m in the same situation now, my quit date is March 22nd but I’ve decided to go for it now, I have a day and a half smoke free and just signed up for this program. I really like this blog and wanted to give you a virtual high-five and thank you for your post, it’s encouraging (strength in numbers)! 

0 Kudos

Woops.... that was supposed to say I felt "prepared"...not pressured. ☺

0 Kudos
elvan

No try...only do, in the great words of Yoda.

0 Kudos
Giulia

michaelbpaulmp‌  Kudos on getting through day one!  Here's a list of many things to do when craving hit:  /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke   You can also type "craving buster" in the community search box (upper right magnifying glass).  Many blogs on the topic.  Hang in!

0 Kudos

Made it through two days being at work helpful no smoking facility but I home for three days and that concerns me positive thoughts right

0 Kudos
Giulia

michaelbpaulmp‌  It's important to not sit around at home.  That's when the cravings start to gnaw at your brain.  Make a project for yourself.  ANY project.  We have to find ways to occupy our minds and change the focus that is pulling us in it's direction.  Physical activity is one way to distract ourselves, but so are challenging puzzles and games.  It's a fine balance.  We need to be challenged enough to change our focus, but not so challenged that it makes us crazier than we already are - if that makes any sense.  I'm sure you've seen the /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke?sr=search&searchId=bdbf...  Part of our homework is to come up with activities that keep us occupied and help to motivate.  Let your imagination run wild.  Stay the course!

elvan

You can also get out of the house, depending upon what part of the country you are in, go to a movie, go to a mall, go somewhere that smoking is not allowed...that's pretty much everywhere these days.  It really is important that you not sit around and dwell on craves. You CAN spend time here on the site...reading, blogging, commenting.  You can never know too much about this addiction or recovery.

Ellen

0 Kudos
Sandi4

Thank you. It worked!

0 Kudos
Giulia

Sandi4‌  EXCELLENT!  If it worked - use it again.  Stick with what works and when something stops working, then it's time to move on to the next craving buster.  And then eventually you'll find you can come back to this and it will work again.  Lots of things that we are excited about in life get stale after a while.  So we need to pause and head off in a new direction.  And then suddenly we discover our old roots and can come back for a revisit.  Glad it helped!

lynetteslater

Just started the process

0 Kudos