cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hattie

Using the hands to spin and knit as opposed to lighting up!

Good morning

This is my 5th day of not having a smoke; and frankly, it's going pretty well.

I do have to give the lion's share of the credit to this site because of the way it got me moving. The back quarter is the fact that I have many activites to keep me busy; two of those are knitting and spinning!

For those of you who don't spin, spinning can put a person into a Zen sort of place that is calm and happy. It's a continuous process of directing fibers through the fingers to be spun into a ply and then gathered on a bobbin on the spinning wheel.

Knitting can have the same effect and it keeps a person's hand very busy. Not only that, both spinning and knitting are steps to create a garment... not just busy work that so many other distractions are.

I am in the process of knitting a lovely wool sweater out of a fleece that came off of "Riley." Beautiful natural colors all spun together to create a slightly speckled effect. This is going to be a humdinger of a sweater for my husband. So much so, that I may be forced to 'borrow' the sweater from him occasionally until I get more of the same type of fleece!

I'm also in the process of carding and spinning a fleece from a ewe named "Ink Spot." Ink Spot is a creamy white with black splotches. Right now I'm spinning up all the white fleece. When done, Ink Spot is going to make a beautiful sweater. I'm thinking and nice Raglan Sleeve pull-over with a wide band of the black wool at the chest of the sweater. The black should also make bands around the sleeves.

I'll keep thinking about that design as I spin the wool.

Anybody else out in the community using knitting or spinning to take their mind off a smoke? Chime in, I'd love to visit with you!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm pretty sure I've seen other people mention knitting

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
hattie

Hey Mark

I expect there are a lot of knitters on here. I’m not sure how long ago I made that post, but I knit on something most every day. I am also still not smoking. Can’t tell you how many folks I’ve told about becomeanex.org because of how the community helped me, help myself to quit. 

Since becoming an ex I started a very successful business and am very involved in our town. I sit on several boards and help small businesses stay alive during Covid. Today, I’ll get my second Covid vaccination. I am a pretty happy camper.

Before quitting smoking, I was sure I was going to die. My mom died at the young age of 54 from smoking. I knew I would die at 54, too. I lived like I was dying. As a result, I didn’t do much of anything, because there was no point in doing anything or starting anything I couldn’t finish; I was dying. Well, 54 has come and gone and I’m not dead. I am quite alive and and having a good one, too. Have a good smoke-free day. Stay safe.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

That's a wonderful update. You should post some pictures of your handiwork here on the community. I'd love to see the things you've produced. I've done some counted cross-stitch in my day. Boy I have an appreciation for people who do that.

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

@hattie   I remember you!  Always nice to see an update from you (even if you were called back to the site from an OLD group posting).  Your message/comment today is worth it being it's own blog! 

I'm glad you are not only getting through Covid but are actively helping others transverse it as well.  Kudos.  

0 Kudos
hattie

Hey there Ladybug

I poke my head in and look around every once in awhile. It is good to see familiar folks from back in the day when I first jumped on board. 

It was good to help folks and other small businesses. I passed on CARE funds offered locally because I was hanging on just fine, when other businesses were not doing well. Our little town lost all too many businesses during Covid. Heart breaking. I’ve also helped our customers that haven’t fared well. Discounts and freebies go a long way. They are my peeps too! That’s what local businesses should do in their community.

And ya know what, it wouldn’t have happened if I hadn’t quit smoking. It really wouldn’t have. My life revolved around my next smoke. Not any longer. I had no energy whatsoever. I know I must have smelled to high heaven, because I know what heavy smokers smell like now that my nose works correctly from not smoking any more. Just amazing. 

Take care of yourself. Good to see you too!

0 Kudos