cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hattie

Baaaa, Baaaa... Black Sheep, White Sheep, Brown Sheep and Cinnamon Sheep

Yesterday evening the four fleece I ordered from a farm in PA arrived! Sadly, it was too late in the evening to really paw through the fleece, but, we did open the box.

First out of the box was the smell of a sheep farm... a smell you either like, or hate; myself, I love the smell, at least in small doses.

This morning after daylight hit hard and strong, I did get to look at the fleece and they are beauties! I had reserved the fleece from Ink Spot, which is a little over half white with great dark charcoal spots. Very beautiful. The  fleece from last year isn't quite large enough for a sweater... this year's fleece will fix that problem and make scarf or mittens or something to go with!

I also got fleece from Ginger, Klemintine and Kozette. Ginger is about what you'd guess her fleece to be... a lovely ginger with darker areas. Kozette is more a chocolate color and Kozette is a heavy cream. Kozette's fleece is also about 6 to 8 inches long and will spin out beautifully. All the fleece have a nice crimp to them, so they will be soft and bouncy and sping like a dream.

If ever a girl needed something to do to keep her hands busy and away from a smoke... this is it.

I got half of Ink Spot's fleece washed today; tomorrow I will wash the dark half. I'll get the other 3 fleece washed and cleaned up by the end of the week, if all goes well. Don't want to leave them dirty and full of lanolin for too long. They can be stored well and longer when clean!

I tell you... if you want to have something to do to keep your hands and mind busy... take up spinning. I happen to knit as well, so there was a reason for me to be spinning in the first place.

But, if you want to take up something... take up spinning, you can always give away the wonderful hand spun yarn you make, or sell it. The spinning is soothing and keeps the hands very, very busy in a most pleasant way!

Labels (1)
1 Reply
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@hattie I've seen this occassionally at art fairs, county fairs and even the local farmer's market in town. It's always been so fascinating but haven't gotten a chance to dig deeper. And I don't know anyone local that has one and would love to impart their knowledge.

I'm curious how quickly you can feel proficient in spinning wool?  Are there different techniques you used to produce different yarn on your spinners wheel? How does one aquire a spinning wheel? Are they expensive? How long have you had yours? Is yours antique or do they make contemporary ones? 

EX Community Admin Team