cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

It's been 5 hrs and I want to make it 6

BabySaki16
4 7 150

I've needed to change my Quit Date a cpl times. It's now 5/5/24. But after another "bad" start this AM, I half-assed said the one at 10:30 was it. Now, it's 3:30 and I'm struggling. Partly agitated,  partly don't know what to do with myself, and keep going from one activity to another to sitting again. I'm chewing gum. Figuring I'll do à 2 or 4 mg mini lozenges, again?? I did one an hr ago, and before that 11:40. I'm feeling on edge. Seriously? After this short of time? I've had physical pain, which triggers me, so I stretched and walked indoors. It's been raining. I looked for a snacks.  I'm now just annoyed but trying to pass this time best I can. 

So, in essence a vent. Cuz now my hubby wants me to check off what I want ordered for my house snacks. 

I love him but is it okay my people annoy me. He smokes. Bit isn't around me atm. In the house still, yes. 

Just a rant. This is only a rant of the  broad, casting 5 hrs as an emergency.  😉  

Wowwee. 

Be well all and Happy Saturday!

Jules 

7 Comments
indingrl

Good vent blog dear friend @BabySaki16 

I came on here because I remembered a cigarette commercial years ago the people on the commercial saying cigarettes cigars tiparello so I came because I only have this minute to let this commercial offering cigarettes pass 

I believe your doing good making your 6 hours I am nope with you this minute NotOnePuffEver WoooooWOOO

Your doing it 

biscuit9

Hi Jules.  Sounds like you have a plan.  Just understand that for now, your brain is begging for the nic fix.  I know you can throw all kinds of things at yourself (walk the block, work on a project, write/journal, watch awful smoking videos on whyquit.com), but my nic-addicted brain still wanted nicotine.  HOLD HOLD HOLD.  You cannot feed the monster, because one puff always leads to another.  Some here bit into a lemon, rind and all, that's a crave buster.  Do what you need to do right now.  Paint your nails or get in a nice bath, make a recipe, clean a drawer.....it's not nicotine but you are adjusing to the nic free life.  Takes a little time.  Be patient with yourself.  In the beginning, it can be one hour at a time.  Stay strong!!  I used to say outloud to a craving "I DON'T DO THAT ANYMORE! to redirect my brain and reinforce my quit.  Use your tools and get through this week.  Come here and journal and cry and whine.  We have been where you are. Read all that you can about this addiction, it will help you.  

BabySaki16

@biscuit9 @indingrl 

I made it almost 7hrs. Then i didn't make it.

Nothing to cheer except being brutally honest. I've tried 5/1,2,3 and today was my biggest success although my new quit day is 5/5 - on my 50th bday.  But, real success is me refusing to and acknowledging i made the decision w an excuse and declaring i knew id be upset. I cannot talk in circles. I've gotta be a straight shooter with myself. 

I have nothing to offer but to be accountable "out loud" to myself and not allow this to define the success I will have. I will have it. I showed myself how to put actions above cigs. more than I ever have.  Next time is not for doing what I always have done. Rather than have anger towards myself, I instead have anger for the nasty cigs. I'm not playing this game anymore as hard as I know it'll be. It's harder to keep playing this game w myself.

Idk if this is a vent, confession or plain ramble. Lol

But tomorrow is my day. Period. I'm done being captive to a piece of stick.

Be well all of you and best to all who keep on keeping on!

Jules

YoungAtHeart

I hope this bit of wisdom might help?!

When I quit, I made the decision that I was not going to smoke another cigarette NO MATTER WHAT.  I didn't allow myself to argue about it.  The decision was made and it was final.  SO - when my addicted brain started in jonesing for a fix (and that is exactly what it is doing!), I said, out loud, "I don't DO that anymore!!!"

Then I started distracting.  I counted backwards from 10,000, thought of names of girls, boys, cities and states, fruits, vegetables, furniture for each alphabet letter.    I took slow/deep breaths, starting with this exercise and going slower and deeper with each.

200w.gif

I went for a walk, called a friend, went for another walk, cleaned out a drawer.  That passed, and I was OK for awhile. The secret is not to let that thought of a need for a fix to rattle around in your head unchallenged.  You cannot win an argument with yourself, so don't have one!

As the days added up, I needed to be super busy less and less. Then came an afternoon when I realized I had not had a craving all morning!  

You can do this, but you must get through the first days however you can.

Someone here noted that they had their last cigarette the morning of their quit day.  Might that help? 

Nancy

BabySaki16

@YoungAtHeart 

I love everything you said, and it all really resonates. There's something about this part, too, when i read it: The secret is not to let that thought of a need for a fix to rattle around in your head unchallenged. 

Challenge it with something. Every. Time. Great way to approach & do it. Thank you for such great encouragement on my way. Thank you for the encouragement I can fall asleep n wake up to. All of you have been great. Thanks to @biscuit9 @indingrl and others.

So appreciated. 

Jules

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @BabySaki16 You got this! One day at a time. Please keep us all posted and let us know if you need anything.

Here are some articles that might be helpful as you prepare for your quit date: 

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/get-ready-to-quit/right-before-you-quit/

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/get-ready-to-quit/3-ways-to-get-your-support-...

Quiana, EX Team

Barbscloud

@BabySaki16 Hi again.  Hang in there on your first day. Have you been reading the material we've sent about cravings and creating new associations to replace smoking?  Having a plan with how you'll cope really helps.  It does help to stay busy.  

I would use the lozenges as described to keep your nicotine at a helpful level to deal with the withdrawal.  

Breaking the Cycle: Chronic Pain and the Path to Quitting Smoking

Continue to stay close.

Barb