cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Buy cigarettes

Donnamoryc
2 13 281

I had a horrible night last night couldn’t sleep thinking about smoking. I was very close to getting my clothes on and going and buying a pack. It was 1 o’clock in the morning. I tried all my tricks and nothing was working. finally had to puff on my nicotine device in the morning. I felt better and stronger than I put a zum In my mouth and I’m starting to feel normal it’s 815 in the morning and I’m feeling pretty strong but what a horrible night

13 Comments
YoungAtHeart

The important thing is you got through it and didn't smoke!!!  Be proud!

These early days/nights of a quit suck.  They just do.  Get through them the best you can, knowing it is going to get easier.

Hang in there until it does, one day at a time!

Nancy

Barbara145

Great job.  Carry on.

biscuit9

@Donnamoryc   Sending you a virtual hug, because of your rough night.  You can look at yourself in the mirror today and no matter how sleep-deprived you feel, you WON last night.  Nicotine lost and you won.  Keep winning!  We all recall those early days of the nic monster trying to pull us back in and it was frustrating.  What kept me from giving in, is knowing that ONE PUFF ALWAYS LEADS TO ANOTHER.  You have to starve it, you cannot feed it.  USE your tools.  Fancy bath might be in order today, complete with candles and bubbles.  Be kind to yourself.  🌹

Thyme

Congrats on making it through! Quitting really is hell in the beginning but it does get easier and easier the further away you get from that last cigarette. Smoke one to relieve a craving and it will have the opposite effect—more and stronger cravings in the near future. Proud of you for staying strong.

Donnamoryc

Thank you everyone for your awesome support. I am so glad you people are here. I thank God every day. God bless all of you.

Barbscloud

@Donnamoryc Happy you survived another difficult time without smoking.   Those urges can come at unexpected times.   You're proving to yourself that you're a quitter.

Glad your reached out to share your experience and to receive that support that can keep you on track.

Keep moving forward one day at a time.

Barb

ReallyReal

@Donnamoryc So happy for you that you did not smoke when things were rough last night.  Just know, as others have said, when you do not feed the monster as it calls, you are getting stronger and stronger and the cravings will get weaker.  You are on the road to freedom and we are all cheering you on. It is difficult but doable.   Well done.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

You are doing it and doing great! You are not giving into your carvings! Great job. 

Quiana, EX Team 

Donnamoryc

Good morning everyone while I’m up to 17 days but it seems now that I’m not sleeping while I don’t go into that real deep sleep and I dream about smoking cigarettes. When will it end it’s swearing me down and I’m only in the beginning help

ReallyReal

@Donnamoryc I am sad to hear that you are experiencing sleep disturbance as you are quitting.  Quitting is not easy but all you are going through will pass and it will bring you to a nonsmoking life--so much better than being chained to tobacco with all those health risks.  I had insomnia too when I quit.  From what I've read, it may last just a couple weeks but if it lasts longer than 4 weeks you should consult a doctor.  In the meantime you might do some things to help with sleep--relaxation exercises, exercising during the day, keeping a regular sleep schedule, not eating a lot of heavy food before bedtime, staying off your phone or computer for at least an hour before bedtime, and others.  I know I had to cut way down on my caffeine consumption.  I know it can be really rough at your stage of the quit, but hang in there.  It really is worth it. Quitting is the very best thing you can do for your health.

I am sure others will be along to comment more.  I hope this has been a little bit helpful.  Wishing you the best.

YoungAtHeart

@Donnamoryc 

Yep - this is tough!  SEVENTEEN days, though,  is HUGE!  You ARE doing this - and if you hang tough, you will never have to go through it again.

Your body is adjusting to life without a very addictive drug, so it stands to reason it is going to take a bit.  It IS going to get easier - I promise!  Your sleep WILL improve!

Just take it one day at a time.  You are bound to start having  a few good days soon!

Nancy

Barbscloud

@Donnamoryc Be patient with yourself.  Not being able to sleep is a common side effect for many quitters.  Even though withdrawal usually peaks at 3 days, it can take weeks for all nicotine to be gone from your body.  You're experiencing withdrawal 24/7, so that includes during the night.  

I think all too often we think we should feel better much sooner.  After all, we quit smoking.  But don't forget how long you smoked in comparison.  Your body is going through a lot right now.  Nicotine and a multitude of chemicals  were impacting your entire body.

After six years, I still have smoking dreams on occasion.  They can be scary when you first wake up thinking that you smoked.  The important thing is, you didn't.

The things recommended to help you sleep apply to insomnia in general.

11 Ways to Relieve Insomnia When You Quit Smoking

Hang in there. It will pass.  Remind yourself that what you're experiencing is your bodies way of healing.

Stay busy and stay close.

Congrats on 17 days!

Barb

biscuit9

@Donnamoryc   Hold.  Hold.  Hold.  You ARE on the right path and I am prayerful that your cravings will lessen very soon.  All our quits are different.  I turned a corner around day 21, as far as the cravings.  I wasn't dancing for joy at that point, but the cravings had lessened and I was beginning to feel a little more like a human.  That was MY experience this time and the last time I have quit.  (I had a quit many years ago when I found out I was pregnant and had to quit in that moment.  It takes 3 weeks for me to get past the worst of it.)  Your experience will be different, but use your distractions!!  

SEVENTEEN days is HUGE.  Stay this course so you can get rid of this addiction once and for all.  You have come too far.  Be kind to yourself.  Give yourself a spa day, you have earned it.