cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

HealthyOrange

Three Years of Freedom

Today marks three years of freedom for me.  It all started with reading here and believing that it was possible to quit and most importantly stay quit.  I read Allen Carr's Easy Way several times.  I also had several serial quits leading up to my permanent quit.  I needed to learn that very hard lesson to never have just ONE, that it leads to many more. 

In the early days, I came here to give and receive support.  I honestly couldn't have made it without the kindness and wisdom of friends on this site.  There are some VERY special people here that are unlike any other site or support group that I have found.  I truly TREASURE each and every one of you.  THANK YOU!!

My life hasn't been easy these last three years, but let's face it, it never was easy leading up to quitting either.  I'm still not the perfect me that I would like to be, but I can tell you that I have grown a lot and am closer to the person that I want to be.  I no longer hate myself for smoking, knowing the whole while that it was killing me slowly and would take me from my children early.

Quitting smoking has helped me become a more honest and true version of myself, dealing with feelings that I had run from in the past.  I now have the courage to face these feelings without the mask of smoking which makes me a stronger and more authentic person than ever before.

I am now a role model for my children and other smokers out there wishing to quit.  My quit gives them hope that they too can one day quit and stay quit.  That makes me very happy. 

The occasional craves are still there once and a very seldom while, but they are just a mere passing thought that lasts no longer than a second and easily pass without struggle or temptation being an issue.  YOU can do this too!

I want and deserve to celebrate big, but don't know what I should do to commemorate this milestone.  Any suggestions are welcome.

Love to you all!  xoxo

23 Replies
SimplySheri

SimplySheri

Yes, a celebration would be appropriate here!!  Congrats on three glorious years   How about a tattoo?  If you aren't a tattoo person, how about a party?  Don't wait for someone else to throw you one, throw yourself the biggest, funnest, bestest party ever!!  With everything you love and everyone you love there   Or how about sky diving?  Or a nice piece of jewelry?  Or take a week off work if possible and just chill?  Maybe a hammock for your backyard?  Maybe enroll in a class for whatever you always wanted to learn?

Sorry, I could go on and on.  I love celebrations!!  And you certainly deserve one!!! 

MarilynH

A super duper Congratulations on your precious 3 glorious Smokefree years and counting WTG Jamie whoo hoo, hip hip hooray my friend and Fellow Exer and most definetly EXtended family XO, go out for supper and enjoy a huge three course meal with all of the fixings and then enjoy some dessert because you deserve to celebrate......

217d41b231d02b9626da40f87bd9e4b0.jpge6c710882262bfbcedddfa72dce29393.jpg

mama3953

Congratulations!!  I am so happy for you!  I for one think you should splurge on yourself!  Vacation, shopping,,,,it’s your accomplishment!  And a fantastic one!

freeneasy

Congratulations! You have started your celebration by writing this wonderful, uplifting, inspiring blog! You're living proof that quitting, staying quit and life after you quit is a better way to live. I would suggest going to your favorite restaurant with someone you're close to would be a nice.

YoungAtHeart

My advice?  Buy yourself a special piece of jewelry that will remind you of the success of the journey you undertook every time you wear it.

Or - take a vacation with some of the $$$ you haven't spent on cigarettes.

Good to see you!  Glad you stopped by to celebrate with us!

Nancy

Strudel

Way yo go - congrats on 3 years! Celebrate big time! 

indingrl

CONGRATS 3 YEARS NON SMOKER LIVING-Yahooo

elvan

Oh my dear, sweet, Jamie.  I had to work today so I did not see this until now.  Congratulations on 3 years...what an amazing journey and what a great job you have done.  I am so proud of you and so happy that you are on this journey with us...with ME.  You are an amazing lady and you deserve a celebration and a reward...I LOVE YoungAtHeart‌'s suggestion for a piece of jewelry...then again, I am ALWAYS up for jewelry.  You have certainly earned a celebration...wish I could be there WITH you!

Much love,

Ellen