cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

redluvr

Sick for the first time since my quit

I'm really curious to hear what others have to say about this. I'm currently 41 days into my quit (the first and hopefully only) and I'm coming down with something like a chest cold. It's odd, but I feel like this is having the effect of reducing the severity of my cravings. Maybe it's just that the typical smoker naturally smokes less while ill or that this is redirecting my attention, but it almost feels like a weight has been lifted (even though I feel like crap).

Can anyone relate to this or have any thoughts on the matter? 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sweetplt

Yes Yes and Yes...redluvr I quit smoking December 3, 2018 ... in February of 2019...( a few months after quitting...I got sick and ended up with sinus infection and then bronchitis...I was sick for almost 2 months ... and going to my Pulmonologist for treatment...no crave/urge, etc., for a cigarette for 2 those 2 months...by the time I felt better I was almost 4 months quit and it was getting so much better....no matter what though...please take care of YOU....rest, fluids, etc., keep us posted on how you are doing....? ~ Colleen 367 DOF 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I cannot add wisdom in response to your question as I was not ill during my quit journey, but I wanted to send wishes that you feel better SOON!  Take good care of you.

0 Kudos

Im with youngatheart, I didnt experience being sick while I was in the beginning of my quit process, but take care of yourself, get rest and drink lots of water!! Feel better soon!

Barbscloud

I didn't get sick either, but a number of people have and came to the site to see if it's normal.  I've read many articles saying that is not uncommon.  I had to smile about your comment that smoker's naturally smoke less when they're sick.  That never stopped me!

Get some rest and feel better soon.

Barb

Never stopped me either Barbscloud..I could be very sick, but still smoked! Egads!

elvan

I quit when I was seriously ill and I am reminded of what smoking did to my lungs every single day.  I have no craves and HATE to smell smoke on other people.  Back before I quit, I would get sick and quit for a couple of days and my biggest challenge would come when I started to feel better and my addiction would start speaking to me again.  Didn't happen THIS time...didn't really ever get a whole lot better.

Ellen

Gai.C

I had same symptoms early in my Quit.  I had upper respiratory infection so doctor prescribed a Zpac felt better in 2 day's.  

0 Kudos