cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Cola13

Quit

I only had 6 yesterday. Usually smoke a pack. I need and want to stop. I had one today but enjoying it less and less and feel nauseous 

I’ve read it’s better to go cold turkey. I have some cigarettes left. Just toss them?

I have quit in the past but I’m smoking more and more, my cholesterol is through the roof and I was told I’m pre diabetic. So basically a ticking time bomb.

any advice?

still getting used to this on line platform and where to post

Labels (1)
6 Replies
maryfreecig

@Cola13 welcome to Ex. Just stopping smoking altogether is one way to quit, but not the only one. If you think quitting nicotine all at once is the way you want to do this, then do it. But I'd add to that, spend a little time on Ex, read, learn, comment on blogs if you want. 

Another version of cold turkey is a smart turkey quit. That means educate yourself about this addiction, prepare for urges triggers cravings by preparing a "tool bag" for your quit of things to do other than to slip back into the old behavior of smoking. Learn about excuses, prepare to succeed. Finally, stick with support Ex, and wherever that support is in your life.

When you are onboard with your quit, whatever path forward you choose will work!!! One step, one day at a time you can do this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z16vhtjWKL0&t=217s

Cola13

Thank you!

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome @Cola13  My name is Quiana, and I am a part of the EX Team.  I wanted to reach out and personally welcome you to the EX Community! The community is very supportive so please reach out and let us know if you need anything. You may find our Daily Pledge page helpful to make a commitment not to smoke on a day-by-day basis. Posting there will also bring visibility to your journey to others who take the pledge daily. Please continue to reach out!

Here are some articles that might be helpful as you prepare for your quit date: 

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/get-ready-to-quit/right-before-you-quit/

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/get-ready-to-quit/3-ways-to-get-your-support-...

Quiana, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Cola13

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
ReallyReal

Hello @Cola13 and welcome.  Good to see you are doing some preparation before quitting.  For me, it helped to read a ton of the blogs on this site and to go through and develop a plan including the tools I would use once I quit that would help me not cave in when cravings came.  The night before I quit I took a long drive with my remaining cigarettes and my vaping gear and made a sort of big deal of throwing them away in the trash of a place far from my house--that was the first step on my journey to freedom. There are so many good tools that help a person distance and distract themselves from cravings.  I didn't quit cold turkey, I used the gum, so my withdrawals were perhaps not so intense, but those first two weeks were still really rough--using my distraction tools were the way I got through those days.  I had to keep my hands really busy--crocheting helped, twirling and tapping a pen, playing with a rock I kept in my pocke....all those tools were invaluable.  Quitting may be difficult but it is very doable and having a plan is a big part of making it doable.  I wish you the best on your quitting journey!!