cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

johio

Pulmonary Rehab

I finished my last session of pulmonary rehab. The rehab lasted a number of months and consisted of going in the rehab center, at the hospital up to three times a week for a couple of months. The rehab center included cardiac and pulmonary rehab. There was a number of exercise machines, free weights, an indoor track and a classroom. After every session we had a class taught by nurses, pulmonary techs, pharmacists, and a few misc. others. I learned a lot and was glad I went.

When I first went in, I was feeling sorry for myself as a spirometry test indicated that I was on the border of the worse stage of COPD.  When I got there about half the people there were on oxygen, one just had a lung transplant, two others had part of their lung removed, and there were others in some severe degree of the disease and they all seemed to have a better attitude than I did. It was infectious .....Maybe infectious is not really a good word to use around folks with COPD....Anyway I became motivated I guess is a better word. And made some pretty good friends.

Thomas always told me to go if I had the chance and he was right...as usual...

12 Replies
anaussiemom

johio  It is a wonderful description.  I'm so  happy for you, that your experience became joyful!!

Hugs Kim

0 Kudos
johio

Thanks Kim

JACKIE1-25-15

I am glad that your going changed your attitude and that you made new friends.  I am sure what you have learned you will be able to share with someone else.  That is why we go through things to be able to help someone else.   Onward Forward, The journey continues.  Thanks for coming and sharing with us.  Hope to see you more often. 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I was so upset when I heard of your COPD diagnosis, but am feeling better that it led to education and comradeship. Knowing exactly what is going on and what to do to slow the progression is very important.  Glad you had the opportunity and took it.

Don't be a stranger!

Nancy

Daniela2016

I am happy you went to rehab, did good to your lungs and made friends in the process.   Every positive step in recovery counts, and I am proud of the decision you made     

0 Kudos
Giulia

Attitude's an amazing thing, isn't it?  It's all in perception.  Glad you made some friends, learned new things and were able to change your attitude.  THOSE are the people to definitely hang out with.  Hope you're keeping up with the exercises at home.  Glad you came to tell us of your journey.  Keep doing so!

0 Kudos
MarilynH

I'm so glad you went too, all positives once you went and some good friends as well.   It's really great seeing you back with all of us your friends.....

0 Kudos

We never met as I am a newbie.  Thrilled you went thru the rehab pgrm and came back to exer's.   Nice to meet you! Prairie

johio

Nice to meet you Praire

0 Kudos