cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

user1616617

Help quitting nicotine lozenges

Hi All - I'm new here and need some advice. I have never been a smoker but became hardcore addicted to Juul several years ago. In an effort to quit vaping about a year ago, I began using nicotine lozenges and while they have mostly kept me away from the Juul (except for one relapse), I now feel like I'm just addicted to the lozenges. I usually have about 5-8 5mg lozenges a day and badly crave them whenever I try to wean myself or when I run out. I'm hoping this community might be able to point me in the right direction of some plans and techniques for ditching the lozenges entirely while staying off the Juul.

One of the biggest roadblocks for me, personally, is that I tell myself the lozenges are generally safe and don't pose any serious health risks, which is my biggest motivator for quitting the Juul. If anyone has any resources or cautionary tales about the harmful effects of NRT (or nicotine itself), those would definitely help. 

Thanks in advance, and happy to be part of this community. 

9 Replies
MarilynH

Welcome to the community @user1616617,  I don't know alot about the  losengers but  please read everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT with commitment and perseverance you will succeed in living a life of Freedom, I'm not very tech savvy and I've never learned how to share links or to copy and paste so I'll do a couple of mentions and maybe they can share some links that will help, @YoungAtHeart  @Barbscloud @sweetplt 

YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

You are addicted to a different delivery method, but addicted to nicotine just the same.  What you are using is the equivalent of two packs of cigarettes a day!  You will need to substitute "lozenges" to the smoking/cigarette references I will give you, but the information is the same no matter how you get the drug in your system!  You might try putting the use of a lozenge off each time you feel you need one and thus reduce the amount of nicotine in that manner before you quit.  Not sure if you can find anything like them in flavor, but if you can find such a thing, using one of them to replace one every once in awhile is a good starting point, too.

I found this about long term use of the lozenges: "New genetic research from the U.K.'s Medical Research Council suggests that nicotine-replacement drugs like nicotine gum and lozenges could raise the risk of mouth cancer, Medical News Today reported  in 2009.  Researcher Muy-Teck Teh of the Institute of Dentistry, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry at Queen Mary University London said that nicotine appears to increase expression of the gene FOXM1 in the mouth; increased levels of the gene is known to be associated with some forms of cancer."

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be

From my own experience and that of others here, if you decide to use a quit aid, I recommend those that don't let the addict control the dose such as Rx drugs and the patch.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the page.

Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Journals-Blogs/101-Things-to-Do-Instead-of-Smoke/ba-p/1028319

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

user1616617

Thank you, @YoungAtHeart, this is so incredibly helpful and exactly the info I was hoping to find! Especially the research on the risks of lozenges. I will check out the book and video to learn more about nicotine and its effects to hopefully scare myself a little more. Really appreciate you taking the time to send those resources. 

No one in my life knows I have this addiction (Juul or the lozenges) because I'm pretty ashamed about it had have been hiding it (which is SUPER unhealthy for my relationships), so I'm relying on this community for support. Just getting to say it out loud to this community feels scary, but also really helps solidify my commitment. 

Thanks again!

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s @user1616617 

Quitting Juul and any addiction is hard work and you did it…the problem you switched one bad addiction for another.  Now you have to quit the lozenges and you can do this by substituting lozenges for something else. (Healthy)…ok, you have a crave, it will pass if you delay … so what can you to delay from taking the lozenges, First, don’t buy anymore, Second, take a walk, Third, drink water instead, etc., you see you have to have a plan and choose that plan … don’t give yourself permission to use lozenges.  NRT’s are great to help in the quitting, but never made to be used permanently.  You don’t need the Juul…and you don’t need the lozenges…keep close to us to give you support when the crave/urge comes…we are here to help you out…you are not alone … Gotcha in my Thoughts ~ Colleen 1024 DOF

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex @user1616617  Using lozenges in themselves to quit smoking is safe if used following the directions.  Although a small percentage, some people can be come addicted if used too long.  At this point, following the advice of quitting any nicotine sounds like the answer.

Educate yourself about  nicotine addiction.  Having that knowledge has made quitting possible for many.  Create a plan with the tools you'll use to quit.  Going for a walk is a great way to refocus your thinking and to replace dopamine lost with the reduction in nicotine.

You can do this.  It takes work, but with preparation you'll be able to move forward.

Barb

user1616617

@Barbscloud - Thanks for the support and motivation - you're right, at the end of the day it is just another nicotine addiction.

0 Kudos
user1616617

Hi @sweetplt - Thank you! I love the way you summarized this: "you have to have a plan and choose that plan … don’t give yourself permission to use lozenges." There is a huge difference between just having the "idea" of quitting in your head and actually having a plan in place that you can turn to instead of giving in to the craving. I'm sure this seems like a really basic concept, but for someone new to this, it's so helpful to have it distilled like this. Thanks for your advice and support. 

Follow-up question: does it make sense to taper off/wean the lozenges, or would that be a mistake That approach seems more approachable, but possibly just prolonging the quit?

sweetplt

Honestly @user1616617 I didn’t use NRT’s to quit smoking…but my opinion would be from reading directions on Nicorette for example…I would wean myself off the lozenges…I think you already quit the hardest part of the addiction…so make a plan to wean off the lozenges…you are so open to suggestions and want this so much…I know you will win this war…keep close to us…~ Colleen 

0 Kudos
JustinHoot99

I have no experience w/ Juul or lozenges, but I did try gum, which seems to be pretty similar to lozenges. I tried gum and failed with that a couple times.  Sounds like you had more success w/ lozenges.  If you decided to try quitting nicotene all together, you'll get plenty of feedback and support here.