RoyalT

Day 1 for me...tobacco free...wish me luck

Any pointers on getting through day 1?

Tags (1)
37 Replies
Susan57

Day 1 , keep this going, God Bless

Candi81679

Today is my 1st day as well. I am going to put a wooden dowel between my fingers and make it look like my cigarette brand. Each time I want or feel the urge to smoke I can pull it out of my pocket and hold between my “smoking fingers”. I hope this does what I need it to. Now…what would/could be a good strategy for you might now work with me and vice versa’ do you have some ideas for us? Good luck today, darlin?

-Candi-

0 Kudos

the physical act of smoking is a ritual. Perhaps self talk would help. Every time you think of smoking say "I don't do that anymore" rather than recreating the ritual? This will retrain your mind quickly.
Barbscloud

@Candi81679  Welcome to Ex and congrats on your first day of success.  Don't know if you'll hear from Susan (that post was from last year).  But we're here for you now.  Consider creating a post to introduce yourself to the community.  You'll receive lots of support that way!

Have you been reading material on the site?   Understanding nicotine addiction really helps as you move through this journey.   Other people have used straws, so it seems like a dowel would work.  I actually chewed on the straws, so the the dowel wouldn't have worked for me.

Exercise and deep breathing are great ways to ride a crave.  I especially like walking to refocus and replace the decreased dopamine from quitting.   Create new associations instead of smoking is the way to be successful.

We're here to support you.  So reach out anytime.

Barb

0 Kudos

There is no luck.  🙂

0 Kudos

Day 1 for me, I've been smoking cigarettes for over 45 yrs. Any advice would be nice

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@TerriCouch1965 Welcome to the ex and congrats on beginning your quit journey.

No matter how you choose to quit, cold turkey or with aids, you need to educate yourself about nicotine addiction and have a quit plan. Many have found success with knowledge and preparation. It took me 50 years and many attempts to finally get it. I went into my quits blindly and was never successful. In addition to some aids for my final quit, I found the Ex a week prior to my quit. For the first time I learned how to quit and had the support that was always lacking.

This link is a great place to start.
https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Make the commitment and you can do this too. We're here to support you on your journey. So reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience or to support fellow quitters. We're all in this together.

Start your day by taking the Daily Pledge. It's a great way to stay on track on day at a time.

Consider posting to My Journal/Blog to introduce yourself to the community and receive some well deserved support.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
Susan57

Day one is a good start. Day 3 was the worst for me but I got through it and now it’s been 14 plus years. I ate my way through my quit mainly egg noodles and pasta. Believe me I was nasty inside, hated every one and never thought I would ever stop smoking. I tried everything that could be the solution, let’s face it “ it’s not easy to stop, a very painful journey “. I stopped cold turkey. My husband did not smoke, I spent more time outdoors than in the house. Remembering the journey is difficult but I’m glad I did stop and what I can say it’s the best thing I did for myself.
what I do remember is a few weeks after stopping you will feel your skin while showering and on long car rides you won’t have to stop to have a smoke.

Good luck on your journey, don’t let any one talk you out of this, day one is a very good beginning, I know I was there, 

Susan

0 Kudos