cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

sylvieberger

Hello! First post, day 3

Hi! I came across this group looking for support while I quit smoking. 

This is the start of my 3rd day without nicotine and I'm just not letting myself make any excuses about tomorrow or next week, but it's really surprising how about every 20 minutes I have the urge to go to the garage (I always smoke in the garage at home). Last night I actually walked out there before I realized what I was doing. 

I have a lot of anxiety that comes up out of nowhere too. I've just been taking a few deep breaths (It does seem like I can already breathe deeper!)

I'd love to hear any tips/tricks/ stories you want to share. Thanks! Happy Saturday!

Labels (1)
8 Replies
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s sylvieberger 

I am so glad you found our site.  Congratulations on 3 days of Freedom.  We are here to support each other.  May I recommend you read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX where you can plan for your urges and what you will do in place of smoking.  Then, I suggest you read the posts/blogs, etc., to educate yourself on this journey.  Also, responding to others post helps you in your quit.  

Here is a list to get you started on things to do instead of smoking /blogs/Maggie_quit_8-1-2010-blog/2012/03/19/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoking?sr=search&searchId=c... 

Especially, in the early days of your quit, keep close to the support site.  

Many of us suffer anxiety in the beginning of the quit...it helps to do these breathing exercises (see below)...also, look up free meditation on the internet, that can also help to center you...Hang in there ~ Colleen 768 DOF

pastedImage_4.gif

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex! You now have a quit community already cheering you on. It isn't easy, but you will get better.The void will be filled--please just stick to one day at a time and use your quit community! Congratulations on 3 days, one step, then the next. We figure out how to be smober one day at a time.

Quit Kit aka Tool Box 

Helpful Blogs, Discussions, Comments, Videos, Links, Info Re Quitting 

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/expert-advice/blog/2020/11/12/the-willpower-paradox-usi... 

/blogs/Marilyn.H.July.14.14.-blog/2019/09/30/its-bound-to-take-time-to-relearn-life 

indingrl

on 3 days NICOTINE FREE - and thank you for sharing

dsprague

Congratulations on day 3. And many more. A lot of people here have fantastic advice and help. They have done wonders for me. You can do this it’s tough in the beginning but you have the power to beat it. Need help, EX is here for you.

Strudel

Congratulations on day 3! You are doing this - way to go! I would say - stay close here. I took one our favorite slogans - N.O.P.E. - Not One Puff Ever and wrote it on index cards. I posted some in my house and I carried one in my purse. Also - cold water. I like your deep breaths idea too! Again - congrats! 

JACKIE1-25-15

pastedImage_1.jpg

pastedImage_3.jpg

pastedImage_2.jpg

Thesegoto11

Ditto.  Educate yourself using the resources in this site.  It really helps to "learn" how to Quit.  The good news is you made it past Day 3 so the nicotine has more-or-less left the building.  From this point forward is should get easier.  You've made it over the first hump.  Congratulations!

Susan57

You’ve come this far and it’s so easy to fall off the wagon but don’t do it because 3 days is a good start. Soon you’ll be feeling your skin, anyway that’s what I noticed while taking a shower.

September will mark 12 year's.

I stopped smoking Cold Turkey and the beginning, like you, was not easy. Especially, since I began as a Very young teenager and was in my late 50’s when I decided it was time too quit. It’s never easy and all the young people will one day be going through the same process. 
what helped is eating and don’t fret about putting  on extra weight, that should be your last worry because you can take it off after your through the rough part. 
at this time I never think about smoking and hopefully I never will, your on a journey you’ll be thankful you started. Keep going your doing well.
God Bless you, Susan S