cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RedGinger03

Struggling to quit

About a month agree I decided that I officially needed to stop vaping. The first week I did a great job of weaning myself off. I only vaped in the morning and after work (I used to vape all day long). I made a deal with myself to not carry it around with me anymore to reduce the habit of doing it.  At one point I went 24hours without vaping. Since then I have got off track. Every time I go buy a vape I tell myself this is the last one until a couple weeks later when I go buy another. My usage is definitely down, but weaning myself off has not worked as I expected. My cravings are really bad when I wake up in the morning, and if I mess up and vape during the day I feel defeated and just continue to do it for the rest of the day. 

A while back I attempted to quit cold turkey and that did not work for me. Sometimes when I drive down the road I just want to throw it out of the window, but I can never bring myself to completely remove all vapes from my life. It's almost like a safety blanket knowing its there in case I get a bad craving. 

Any help would be great. I want to get rid of everything, but I'm not sure I'm strong enough to keep it up. 

3 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome @RedGinger03! My name is Quiana, and I am a part of the EX Team. Congratulations on your decision to quit! I wanted to reach out and personally welcome you to the EX Community! We are so excited you have joined us. This is a very supportive community so feel free to keep us all posted on your quit journey reach out and let us know if you need anything. You may find our Daily Pledge page helpful to make a commitment not to smoke on a day-by-day basis. Posting there will also bring visibility to your journey to others who take the pledge daily.

Here are some articles that might be helpful as you prepare for your quit date: 

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/get-ready-to-quit/right-before-you-quit/

https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/get-ready-to-quit/3-ways-to-get-your-support-...

Quiana, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

@RedGinger03 Welcome to the Ex.  Glad you found us. This sounds like so much like my many unsuccessful attempts over 50 years of smoking.  I went into my quits blindly.  I'd pick a date and an aid with no idea of how to really quit.

The same principles to quit smoking will apply to your quit. It's important to educate yourself about nicotine and have a quit plan. Knowledge and preparation have been made quitting possible for many of us. I never did either in these past and I was never successful. I was planning my quit this time and found the Ex a week before my quit date. I finally learned how to quit and how important support from other quitters can be. Read lots of material on the site. This link is a great place to start.

Quitting Guides

Have you considered using a quit aid?  There are many choices and they have helped many of us be successful .Believe in yourself that you can do it. Approaching your quit one day at a time helps to alleviate much of the anxiety we experience when we think about quitting.  

And join many of us on the Daily Pledge. It's a great way to stay accountable to yourself.

We're here to support you so reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience, and to support other quitters.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos

@RedGinger03   I see you picked a quit date.  How is it going?   We're here to help.

Barb

0 Kudos