cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nicotine replacement - safe and effective

Dr_Hays
Mayo Clinic
18 55 2,828

As some of you may know, the Mayo Clinic has an 8 –day residential treatment program for tobacco users. On the first day of the program patients have a series of appointments including meeting with a provider and developing a medication plan. It is common at the outset of the program for patients to be reluctant about using the recommended nicotine medications. Patients are frequently more afraid of the medications that are proven safe and effective in helping stop smoking than they are of the leading cause of preventable death in the USA.  It is common to hear patients talk about not wanting to use more than one medication or to use a lower than recommended dose.

Over the first few days of the program the patients are provided with information about nicotine addiction and withdrawal, how the nicotine medications can help, and talk to one another about what medications are working. The patients tend to watch one another and see that others are managing withdrawal and craving with medications.  They open up to increasing their patch dose or adding a second medication, as recommended.  They are frequently surprised how much more comfortable they feel when they get the correct dose.

Outpatients commonly demonstrate a similar reluctance about using higher patch dose and combination therapy, however they don’t have the benefit of a residential program to give them the chance to see the benefits.  Rather than having patient and provider support, they may be influenced by others who can be misinformed about the relative safety of nicotine replacement.

Working with a provider trained in tobacco treatment to determine your recommended dose of NRT, and then following through by using it that way can make a positive difference in the experience of becoming tobacco free.

55 Comments
Barbara145

Two forms of NRT's are how I finally quit after multiple attempts over many years.  Some of us need it.  Thanks for the informative blog.

JonesCarpeDiem

Are there any studies regarding what point in time people who use NRT's become psychologically addicted to them?

What are the instructions for getting off of them.

elvan

I think it is spectacular that there is so much help available now, I felt for a very long time that if there was adequate support, I would have been successful quitting a long time ago.  As it worked out, I did not use any NRT's but I was so sick when I quit that I didn't want to introduce nicotine back into my system after I had been off it for over a week.  For me, it was best to go cold turkey or smart turkey.  I certainly had my struggles but I made it, I would love to hear more about recommended doses because I think it would be very valuable knowledge.  I am sure it is dependent upon a variety of factors such as weight, medical history, and patient tolerance.

Thanks for the blog.

lisagale58
I don't see anything about Chantix for therapy. Does the Mayo Clinic recommend Chantix as a quit smoking aid? I have been using Chantix since the week prior to July 11, 2016 and am now already down to 1/2 the recommended dose. I'm hoping to completely stop the Chantix by the end of October, 2016.
maryfreecig

Strongly agree. I quit without NRT, but on reflecting back, I substituted coffee drinking for nicotine--I should have unterstood NRT far better than I did. I have to believe that NRT along with regular quit smoking support  has got to be a strong approach to quitting, and the right approach for many, not for all of course.

I have completely underestimated the power of nicotine and the trouble of cigarette addiction. I'm recovering, off the cigarettes for almost three years now. But it was far more difficult than it should have been. I'm concerned that the cold turkey approach suits only the strongest of the "weak" and leaves little hope for the weakest of the weak.

Thomas3.20.2010

What you believe about NRTs and pharmaceuticals is self fulfilling. If you believe they will work for you then they will! As long as you quit smoking -and eventually these interventions as well, I'm all for it. I do think precautions about NRT Addiction are important to include. Addicts often switch from one Addiction to another if they aren't actively seeking Recovery.

intervention
The NRT that worked for me...and millions of others..is vaping. It, too, is an evidenced-based tool for smoking cessation. Whatever works!
alxic

Ever one hour  I smock viper I see my self in 8 year for and not good I have tied to quit but all filled sow I am going Chang my life around I am going to quit to day

kayla1223

I am 10 days smoke free. I chose to quit smoke free. The reason i chose this is because of my fear of taking a new medication. I am a nurse and i have seen good and bad reacations to either medications patches or gum. Everyone has their own way of quitting so whatever works for them thats great!!! My sister wants to quit she recently received a prescription for chantix.

stacy612
I just bought the nicorette lozenges and have a Hookah vapor , one has nicotine and I also have one without. Any suggestions from anyone that used these? I was smoking about a pack a day. Have bronchitis and I am done being dependent on this but holy cow, ,never realized how dependent I have been almost my entire life on cigerettes. I just want to feel good again!
1coolcat

Hi every one I've used patchs and a kanger vaporiser to help me quit and I now 44 days cigarette free.

s.s.82
The patch and the gum work great for me. And since I was smoking 20+ cigarettes per day, I use the maximum dosage of the patch and 2mg of the gum. My boyfriend is trying to quit too. He's using the patch only and has slipped up a few times, but he hasn't bought a pack of cigarettes yet. I'm proud of both of us. #ThreeDaysSmokeFree
paulavr56
Day two. Lol. Attempt number four. Decided to use the patch today. No reason to make it harder than it has to be. Will pick up the 2mg gum later. Ive smoked for 42 yrs and i feel like i lost a family member. I know better, but the sense of loss is just overwhelming.
deidreanne
Now want to quit mostly because cigs are a total waste of money-I smoked since 18 years old and now am 48. my mom died at 50 after suffering from multiple cancers for 13 years. I have patches which I have used before and am now trying them again this week. sort of nervous about it. the worst for me is with coffee I want to smoke and when I drive I always smoke a lot, so god be with me for success.
brittann3

Had my last cigarette 1 week ago today. I had to have surgery to remove my wisdom teeth and figured if I could "not smoke" to avoid dry socket then I might as well go all out.... for the 4th or 5th time in the last 10 years. I'm using the patch... again. But I do feel more positive about this attempt than in the past. In the past, I think, the reasons I had for quitting weren't strong enough or important enough. Not to give up such a large part of who I was anyways. My reasons seem more real now. I was off work for a week after my surgery so the cravings and triggers weren't quite so strong last week. Boredom was the hardest part while I was off work. This week I think not smoking while driving to and from work and not smoking on my hour long lunch break will be the hardest. The idea of buying a pack and smoking 1 does not appeal to me at all but the habit of smoking while driving is so strong.

Lil_t

Those are two of my major triggers! Also after eating! I feel the same way, it is such a waste of money, on something that is slowly killing me! I was diagnosed last year with stage 4 NHL and have been trying to quit ever since, my longest time without a cigarette has been 10 days so far. I hope i make it this time & you too! Support is so important when trying to quit this horrible addiction! Good luck, I'm rooting for you & everyone trying to quit!

anaussiemom

what is NHL?  

lil_t
lil_t  Good luck and many blesssings

Kim
elvan

That cigarette after eating can be dealt with by developing a new routine...I got up from the table immediately after eating and began a clean up or, if that wasn't possible, I came to this site and read blogs and commented.  I asked for advice and I listened to what was offered.  You have a HUGE incentive to stay smoke free, congratulations on 10 days of freedom or as we call it, "Double 
Digits."  Driving can be at least HELPED by having a water bottle next to you with a straw in it so you can drink water and flush your system of toxins and distract yourself...you can also crank up the radio and sing along.  You can do this...stay close to the site, you will learn a great deal from the members here.

Ellen

Lil_t

Thank you so much! 

Lil_t

Thank you for all the suggestions, I'm definitely going to need them, I've got to find other things to do after I eat or drink my morning coffee! I think I messed up when writing my comment, & the part about "10 days smoke free", Oops! I was referring to my last attempt at quitting smoking, which was back in Oct of 2017. I had throat surgery, in which they removed my entire Uvula & then some, so I thought, this is a perfect opportunity to attempt quitting ciggs, hopefully for the last time! I made it 10 days without a cigarette, I did use an e- cigg/vape, once I started to heal & the intense cravings set in, esp. when I was hurting & not able to sleep. The severe pain I was going through for over a week, most certainly didn't help! I've now set my quit date for March 11th, so, in the meantime, I'll be mentally preparing myself AGAIN, cutting back on my smoking & cleaning house. I haven't smoked inside my home in years, but over the month I've slipped, due to the extremely cold weather, not feeling well to the point of not wanting to get up, which is totally not like me, because I hate smoke in the house.. So, I'm going to chaulk it up to this crazy cold weather we've been having, & not wanting to open the door to let cold air in or freeze my bum off, plus, it seems I haven't felt as well after my last treatment, as I usually do. So, now I plan on washing anything I can throw in the washing machine & I know that will cure the urge to smoke inside,  because washing my curtains again from nicotine is just not worth it! It always helps to have everything fresh & smelling good! 

Lil_t

Sorry I forgot to answer your question! NHL is Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma, mine is B cell, SLL. It is manageable with chemo, unfortunately the only cure right now is a bone marrow transplant, even then they don't always work.. the good news is, it is a very slow growing cancer. So, I definitely plan on being around for quite a while longer!

anaussiemom

roses-desi-glitters-59.gif

Lil_t
Lil_t  Healing prayers sent your way.
Mrswells28

That really did make a lot of since

telisaishanker

I quit about a month ago, however now and then i get the urge of smoking one or two. However i never allow it to relapse into buying an entire packet and relapsing to chain smoking. I need help from you guys to quit completely ...meaning not a single puff in a day. Nicotine chewing gums reduces my urges greatly especially after a meal. 

Could anyone of you help me from quitting completely, not a puff. 

Any ex smoker suggestion would be greatly helpful !!!

JonesCarpeDiem

A relapse is giving yourself permission to smoke whether it's one puff or one pack.

The permission always comes before the puff.

"If you've quit smoking and you're still smoking, you're doing it wrong."

/blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months 

Giulia

You might read through the material in Best of EX‌  There's a lot of wise words from people who have been through this process.  Also, head to the /blogs/Giulia-blog/2017/06/18/elders-list-ao-december-7-2016?sr=search&searchId=fed27d35-748d-4565-a...‌ and go to the pages of some of the people there and read their blogs.  

There is no "partial" quitting.  It's an all or nothing thing.  Look within for accepting the choice you've made to quit.  Allow no options.  Accept the journey - with all it's ups and downs.  Embrace your decision.  That's how you quit completely.

barbieann

I've been struggling with quitting for four years now , an 8 day program would benefit my health very much soooooo

Dani2154

I am being told to not use ANY nicotine at all and just quit cold turkey. But I read a lot that NRT works better. I just wish ppl would understand how hard it is.

maryfreecig

Exers understand so keep coming back and share your thoughts. NRT or cold turkey it has to be your decision because it it about you.

Giulia

Who has told you not to use NRT therapy?  Dani2154 If it's your doctor, that's one thing, but if not - the choice is up to you.  NRTS work well for some, others prefer the SMART TURKEY‌ method.  If you try one method and it doesn't work, then you try another method.  I was never the type to be able to cut down, I'm more of an "all or nothing" type of persona.  You have to use your instincts.  The members here DO understand how tough it is.  We've "been there, done that."  Keep reading, keep absorbing, make a strong plan and have a strong commitment.  And above all - persevere!

Denise1961

Thank you for the information provided about NRT.

I have 13 days tabacco free and am using Wellbutrin and NRT.

My question is:

Can I have NRT in my system and have surgery? I have breast cancer and will have a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction in the next few months. Any information on this subject would be great. Taking my health back one day at a time is now a renewed goal. Thanks All!

JonesCarpeDiem

"It's the nicotine found in vapes and tobacco that results in poor wound healing, increases anesthesia risk, and may lead to a host of other potential complications for surgery patients," said AANA President Bruce Weiner, DNP, MSNA, CRNA.

Giulia

Here's some info I found:  Safety and Efficacy of Nicotine Replacement Therapy in the Perioperative Period: A Narrative Review.... 

and https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(15)00762-4/fulltext 

And just @ mentioning NDC_Team  as a head's up on your question.  It's a good one and no doubt they'll have a better answer than just plucking things off the internet.  But I'm sorry you are having to ask it.  

Neversay2999

I really need this program! Can someone please help me out by giving me the information about this. 

Giulia

Are you referring to the Mayo Clinic Residential Program?  If so I'll let Mark address that.‌

The program on BecomeAnEX is free for all and it's a good one.  Though not in a residential environment, the on-line community has a wealth of information that can help.  Nicotine Replacement Therapy can be purchased at most drug stores and the other drugs you can get a prescription for from you health care provider.  

This community is a great resource for learning about how to rid yourself of this addiction.  /blogs/Giulia-blog/2018/03/01/quitting-is-a-skill-that-can-be-learned?sr=search&searchId=8f0d3c02-8d...‌  If you feel comfortable head to the community side of the site and join in our journey.  We're all on the same one, after all.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Neversay2999 wrote:

I really need this program! Can someone please help me out by giving me the information about this. 

The Mayo Clinic Residential program is a different program. I am guessing you are actually talking about the EX Program.  Be sure to follow the steps in your EX Plan. It has everything you need to complete the program.  Connecting with the EX Coaches will help you get NRT if you think it will help your quit journey.

Mark
EX Community Manager

jimGroteluesche

Awesome possum!

Key1971

Hi I'm trying to get nicotine patches to quit smoking  I have viva insurance

Key1971

Please contact me about nicotine patches to quit smoking

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Key1971

Some members here are sponsored and will see information in the Sponsorship area of Edit Profile | BecomeAnEX . If you do not see your Sponsorship as Active and a referring Health Plan or Sponsor then your employer or health plan provider will not be notified as they do not participate in the EX Program. If you think you should be sponsored but forgot to list your Employer and Health plan provider at registration, please use the Contact Us form to let me know.

I would check with your insurance to see what resources they might provide. Otherwise contacting your state Quit Line at 800-QUIT-NOW is probably your best bet. I would recommend you to still use EX as there is a lot of helpful information here to support your quit journey.

Bear1961

I gave ordered the gum hope this will help 

gray32062

I take to many medications already

Nancysmith93

I was a non smoker for over 10 years after multiple attempts I used every medication that was available for several years trying anything to quit! I finally was successful and happy and I had money in my pocket! Then came the pandemic and my new live in friend that smokes. I hadn’t had an urge to smoke in forever! Well my guard was down and I picked up cigarettes for around 1.5 years! I have COPD so needless to say my doctor was on my case. I used chantix back in February 2021 and was quit by the end of March. I was once again happy and feeling stronger by the day. Then I tried a flavored vape! Wrong move! Now I’m trying to get off this vice! I hate it being a slave to nicotine! I’m having a hard time but I’m going to do my best to save myself from the grip’s of nicotine addiction!

SkyRider

Those individual nicotine gum packs are frustrating to open.  I'm just sayin.

Barbscloud

@SkyRider Welcome to the Ex.   What's you quit date?  Hope you've been doing some reading on the site about nicotine addiction and tools to help you with your quit.

We're here for you, so reach out anytime.

Barb 

lozanomari8

After reading “Dr. Hays” blog, I was surprised to see that Mayo Clinic offers, a 8 –day residential treatment program for tobacco users.  I didn’t know there was inpatient treatment programs available for tobacco users.  

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, it's an option for you @lozanomari8 . You can read about it here@Dr_Ebbert and the @NDC_Team can answer any questions you have about their program.

You're certainly welcome to use the many free resources we have here on EX for your quit journey.

BenD0702

I’m interested in trying medications. What are, the side effects of any?

Barbscloud

@BenD0702 Welcome to the Ex.  This article my help to get you started with a possible choice.

There's also Welbutrin that requires a prescription.

Nicotine replacement therapy: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

Consider posting to Post a Journal/Blog to introduce yourself to the community and receive support with you quit.

Barb

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@BenD0702 That is a question you can chat with an EX Coach about when you connect with them as part of the features offered by the EX Program provided by your sponsor. Look for the orange tab in the lower right corner to connect with them.

If you're more specific about the quit aid you're thinking of using then you could also post it here and members who have used that quit aid might be willing to share their experience or a member of the @NDC_Team  ( @Dr_Ebbert  @TimMilbrandt,  @MikeBurke @HeatherKraling @BarbDallavalle  or @MollyLeis ) might also be able to share their knowlege.

About the Author
An expert in tobacco use and dependence, Dr. Hays has authored and co-authored over 70 peer-reviewed scholarly articles and book chapters on various aspects tobacco dependence and its treatment. Since joining the Nicotine Dependence Center in 1992, he and its staff have treated more than 50,000 patients for tobacco dependence.