cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lung Cancer Screening and Smoking Cessation

Dr_Ebbert
Mayo Clinic
5 9 721

51036iBA0482022A6931D7Lung cancer is the second most commonly diagnosed cancer among men and women; but is the leading cause of cancer deaths for both genders.  The National Lung Screening Trial (NLST) clearly demonstrated that undergoing lung cancer screening with a CT (“cat”) scan reduces mortality related to lung cancer by 15-20%. Eligible smokers in this clinical trial were aged 55–80 years with a 30 pack-year (i.e., the number of years smoked multiplied by the number of cigarette packs smoked per day) smoking history and currently smoke or have quit within the past 15 years.

Previous observations suggest that patients with positive findings on screening (as in, suspicious lung nodules) were more likely to quit smoking compared to patients who have negative findings. However, in my own clinical experience, when my patients either decline or obtain the screening, I am surprised how little the testing changes attitudes and behaviors about smoking cessation. I am also puzzled by how many patients decline the screening because they are not ready to quit smoking.

Recently published data by Golden et al. [Golden SE, et al. Prev Med Rep. 2022 Oct 5;30:102014. PMCID: PMC9551209.] has helped me to understand the thought process from a patient perspective. In this study, investigators performed interviews among patients who currently, or formerly, smoked who experienced cancer screening decision-making discussions.

The majority of smokers reported that lung cancer screening had no influence on their motivation to quit smoking with all of them reporting that the results had little impact on this motivation. All patients agreed that clinicians, like myself, should incorporate discussions about smoking in every clinical encounter. I was pleased to discover that most patients do not feel that negative screening (as in, no cancer or suspicious findings) gave them “license to smoke.”

I have learned that lung cancer screening is not a teachable moment. However, I change the conversation and encourage all my patients to get the screening “whether they want to quit or not.”  In addition, I encourage all smokers to ask their providers whether lung cancer screening is right for them knowing that likely it will not influence the decision to quit.

Again, and most importantly, let’s not let readiness to quit be a barrier for obtaining this potentially life-saving screening.

Dr. Ebbert
Medical Director
Photo by Robina Weermeijer

9 Comments
Barbscloud

@Dr_Ebbert Many of us here get our annual LDCT scans and know it's importance. Even after quitting, we're not out of the woods. 

It certainly was a teaching moment for me when I was diagnosed with mild emphysema after my annual  CT.  That was almost 5 years ago after 50 years of smoking  .  Along with a wonderful pulmonary doctor who suggested two quit aids and never tried to scare me, but supported my efforts, I finally quit.  

I know there are other quitters here that have experienced the same.

And, the support I found at the Ex played a huge role in  my quit.

Anyone that smokes/previous smoker should get a lung cancer screening whether they intend to quit or not.  It can save their lives.  

Barb

MikeBurke
Mayo Clinic

Great point Barb

Tiggie

I am about to schedule my first Lung Screen and after so many years of smoking it does scare me a bit.  But after my last 2 surgeries coming out of anesthesia was awful, and my O2 was low.  So time to do something good for myself.

Barbscloud

@Dr_Ebbert I just received my questionnaire from the PLuSS study  at the University Of Pittsburgh that I participated in to determine the efficacy of CT's vs x-rays.  I know I've mentioned this before, but I can't believe it was 2003 when I participated.  Good things have come from  this study to catch lung cancer early in current or previous smokers.    It wasn't until 2018 that I was able to check the box that I no longer smoke.  It feels good to be able to do!

Barb   

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Barbscloud That's great that you did that back then and recommend that others get their LDCT scan as well. Thanks for sharing the feeling when you were able to check the box in 2018. Posts like yours could be inspirational to others who read it, whether they reply or not. The more people we can get getting LDCT scans the better!

Unsure if you should get screened? Check out the following links to get more information.

United States
Canada

ernestinefouts2

I was diagnosed with stage 2 COPD 2 years ago and after many failed attempts to quit smoking I ended up getting really sick Nov 2023 and was hospitalized with pneumonia and was there for a week and have been in oxygen since I have a ling screening Feb 28 2024 and am very nervous. I’m only 48 years old. I have not smoked since 11/28/23 I was to sick to smoke and promised myself I’d never smoke again and so far have not but it’s hard. I would love to go back in time and tell  to the young girl me that started smoking at 15 how sick she will be at just 48 because of smoking.  

Barbscloud

@ernestinefouts2 Congrats on 80 days of success.  That's fabulous.  I finally quit after 50 years when I was diagnosed with mild emphysema.  There is nothing to gain by spending time worrying about the past.  Be proud of the major change you've made in your life and the impact it will have on you health in the future.

Have you created your own  post on the site?  It's a great way to introduce yourself to the community and receive some support from fellow quitters.   You can do that on the home page at My Journal/Blog.

Also, join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

Kron1971

I just recently had heart surgery and was diagnosed with copd. The pain of coughing up mucus after surgery really made me see what and how smoking has effected my lungs and breathing.  I know first hand now the damage I've put my body through 

MollyLeis
Mayo Clinic

@Kron1971 It can be so tough to face that, but I also know that when we focus on damage done whether physically, mentally, life choices, etc., it can bring guilt and shame.  If you are doing the best thing you can do for yourself now, then that is what matters.  We all do things in life that we wish we hadn't, but the reality of being human is that we are not perfect.  And, we can only fix things in our life if we have the right tools to fix them with.  And when we face problems head on, we grow.  I hope that you are finding what you need here and with others to keep it up!  Thanks for posting. 😊          

About the Author
Professor of Medicine at the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Director of the Nicotine Dependence Center. An expert in tobacco use and dependence, Dr. Ebbert has authored and co-authored over 150 peer-reviewed scholarly articles on tobacco dependence and its treatment. Dr. Ebbert maintains an active clinical practice while conducting research on electronic nicotine delivery devices.