Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How versus Why

NDC_Team
Mayo Clinic
4 7 541

How-Why.png

When wanting to make a significant change like quitting tobacco, it is common to become overwhelmed, and see it as an insurmountable task. You may feel that it is hard to even know where to begin, and so you perceive it as simply unattainable. When we are unable to see just HOW to do something, it is easy to feel like it cannot be accomplished. And so, we set it on the back burner, where it remains.

Sometimes, to get unstuck, it may help to approach things in a different way.

For a moment, set aside the question of “HOW to quit tobacco;” and instead, allow yourself to focus on “how your life will be more of how YOU want it to be” once this change has been made. This is your WHY. So, just what are the big and small things that will be different for you once you quit tobacco?

Here are examples of the types of things I have heard from patients:

• I will feel better.
  • I will have more money.
  • I will enjoy that freeing feeling of knowing that I no longer use tobacco.
  • I will have so much more time to do other things.
  • I will have more time to spend with my family/friends.
  • I will no longer need to worry about how to “escape” social situations to use tobacco.
  • I will no longer feel guilty or ashamed about my tobacco use.
  • I will feel great being a good role model for my children.
  • I will have less conflict with my spouse/partner.

The list could go on and on…

I encourage you to take the time to identify how your life will be more of how you would like it to be once you have made this change. Consider not only how this change will directly and immediately impact your life; but also, the little ripples that will occur across your life because of this change.

Frequently, once we have a clear sense of our WHY for quitting tobacco, the options for HOW to do it will begin to emerge for us as well.

Tim Milbrandt, MS, LMFT
Addictions Coordinator /CTTS

Tags (1)
7 Comments
jttindall

Great article.  Mindfulness has been a lifesaver through this process so far, I'm on Day-5.  Here is a tool I created for myself:

Why I will not smoke:

1. Smoking can make my depression worse.
  2. Smoking can increase my anxiety, panic attacks and suicidal ideation.
  3. Smoking stains my beard, fingers, tongue and teeth.
  4. Smoking makes my breath smell like an opened tomb.
  5. Smoking damages my beard, making it lose its shine and luster.
  6. Smoking weakens my immune system and makes me more likely to get bacterial and viral infections.
  7. Smoking affects my ability to hear.
  8. Smoking damages my eyes and leads to macular degeneration.
  9. Smoking reduces my life expectancy by about 10 years.
  10. Smoking is one of the causes of my type 2 diabetes and raises my A1C.
  11. Smoking/nicotine causes an instant and long-term rise in my blood pressure.
  12. Smoking/nicotine causes long-term increase in my heart rate.
  13. Smoking reduces blood flow from my heart.
  14. Smoking reduces the amount of oxygen that reaches my body’s tissues.
  15. Smoking increases my risk for blood clots.
  16. Smoking damages my blood vessels.
  17. Smoking doubles my risk of having a stroke.
  18. Nicotine is a poison that smoking allows into my body.
  19. Smoking delivers carbon monoxide, eventually causing my airways to swell up and let less air into my lungs.
  20. Smoking delivers tar, a sticky substance that coats my lungs like soot in a chimney.
  21. Two-thirds of smokers eventually die of a smoking related disease.

Quitting will:

1. Make me look and smell better.
  2. Make me better able to help others through challenges.
  3. Make me feel better physically and mentally.
  4. Encourage me to exercise.
  5. Improve my health in countless major ways.
  6. Give me the time and focus to do things that are more productive.
  7. Reduce hassles for me when traveling or engaging in family events.

Success Mantras

• I am stronger than this craving.
  • My reasons to quit are greater than my reasons to smoke.
  • If I smoke, I may never be able to quit ever again.
  • MG is proud of me for not smoking today.
  • I can put off smoking for the next 15-minutes.  I am the best procrastinator in the entire world.-
BarbDallavalle
Mayo Clinic

This is a really great tool that you have developed. I can see that alot of thought has gone into this!  I really like the mantras as well.  It would be a great thing to put up on your fridge or your bathroom mirror...Thank you so much for sharing this with the Ex Community!

Judylynn44

@Judylynn44 i like mantras to

shintaffer

I really like these ideas too, I never thought about how my life would be after quitting vaping. It has been one of my devices for the longest time, well most of my life. I've been dependent upon nicotine for 27 years. The thought of having this freedom really excites me. I'm glad I'm not going through this alone!

makeit

@jttindall

Great response! Seeing all of the negative effects of smoking are great motivation for me. Although I do not have a beard, I'm sure that my hair will be healthier too! Thanks for sharing!

jeremyp6485

I just can't wait to see my children smiling knowing that their Dad gave up smoking for them and I can't wait to find out how it feels to be able to breathe with out inhaling the toxins in cigarettes 

MollyLeis
Mayo Clinic

@jeremyp6485 @That’s so awesome!  What a great motivator!  It’s so cool to see that you are noticing specific things to focus on as rewards to quitting.  Keep up great effort!

About the Author
The Nicotine Dependence Center at Mayo Clinic has been home to physicians, nurse practitioners, Master’s / PhD level counselors, trained TTS’, and amazing office staff for a total of 30 years, all working together to treat individuals who struggle with tobacco use. Counselors meet with an individual to develop their own personalized plan, discuss coping strategies, and provide ongoing support along the journey towards a tobacco-free life. As part of the process, counselors work with physicians and nurse practitioners to provide nicotine replacements and other medications for smoking cessation as needed. We are happy to be involved with the EX Community and we hope our experiences and expertise can help in your journey towards a tobacco-free life. View the link in our signature to see our individual Biographies.