Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Mood (and Sleep!) Affects Smoking

Dr_Ebbert
Mayo Clinic
10 12 626

How Mood (and Sleep!) Affects Smoking  Mayo Clinic Event Series.png

Smoking cessation is the most effective way to reduce the risks of smoking-related harms, but quitting is challenging for many smokers. One of the factors that influences smoking and quitting behavior is mood. 

Mood is a complex and dynamic psychological state that reflects the emotional tone of a person's experience. Mood can affect smoking and quitting behavior in various ways, such as motivation, craving, withdrawal, coping, and relapse. 

In a recent article, investigators evaluated the relationship between affective (mood) states and smoking urges later in the day (Benson L, Chen M, De La Torre I, Hébert ET, Alexander A, Ra CK, Kendzor DE, Businelle MS. Associations between morning affect and later-day smoking urges and behavior. Psychol Addict Behav. 2023 Dec 14. doi: 10.1037/adb0000970. PMID: 38095939). They randomized 63 smokers into one of three smoking cessation interventions and asked them to complete surveys during the day.

Researchers observed that on days when participants experienced higher than average positive mood, their urges to smoke later in the day were lower. Conversely, on days when participant mood was more negative, urges later in the day were higher and smoking was more likely. 

They also observed that individuals with higher moods characteristically had less intense later-day smoking urges, and those with more negative moods had greater later-day smoking urges.

Apart from clinically significant mood disorders, such as depression, which need to be addressed first and foremost, some of us may think that we cannot really control our mood in the morning and therefore we cannot impact this. But is that true? 

Consider days when we had poor sleep, for whatever reason, and what our moods are like on those mornings compared to those days when we had good sleep and awakened refreshed. So maybe the question might be, how can we improve sleep?

As a general internist, I have a lot of patients who sleep poorly. When I talk about “sleep hygiene” they usually give me a quizzical look. But there are proven effective methods that improve sleep, which include:

• avoiding alcohol
  • minimizing light and sound
  • controlling room temperature
  • keeping a bedtime routine
  • managing stress
  • refrain from actively trying to sleep

[Mayo Clinic Q and A: 5 ways to get better sleep - Mayo Clinic News Network]. 

Wearable technologies can also help us track our sleep and help us gain an understanding about how to improve our sleep. Books are available that many patients find helpful (e.g., No More Sleepless Nights by Peter Hauri).

In my 27 years of clinical experience, how we feel in the morning has much to do with how we slept the night before. Unwinding our struggle with cigarettes may very well start with improving our sleep. 

12 Comments
TammyPoe

Not ready to set date yet. 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

That's ok, @TammyPoe, and once you are, feel free to make a post in the main forum so other community members can lend support. We're here for you and rooting for you!

- Danielle, EX Team 

Sable6923

This will be my second attempt to quit. Had a lot of medical issues this year causing stress due to pain and financial stress. Just wasn't happy anymore and started smoking again in November.

Brentspicer.

I need to have hernia surgery and I can’t until I quit smoking.

Deneeca

hello pray about it and try patches or gum it has helped me one day at a time.

BarbDallavalle
Mayo Clinic

It is great you are making another attempt to quit @Sable6923  !  The important thing is to never give up on beating this addiction.  You have had a lot of stressors going on - but kudos to you for getting back to the business of quitting tobacco again!

Thanks for reaching out,

Barb Dallavalle

BarbDallavalle
Mayo Clinic

Thanks so much for your post @Deneeca. And you are right - it really is one day at a time. Glad you have found the gum and patches to be helpful.  

- Barb Dallavalle

nuttybooker12

trying to quit because of health reasons and cause we can't afford it. This is harder for my husband who doesn't want to quit. He has more control though. I'm still searching the house for butts

MollyLeis
Mayo Clinic

@nuttybooker12 sounds like you have a lot of good reasons to quit, it can be difficult, especially at the beginning.  That sounds like me searching for my kids halloween candy when I tell them to hide it from me.  LOL.  the cravings do eventually pass though, keep up the motivation!  🙂    

moonfox63

I have tried to quit so many times I can’t even count. I do great for about two weeks, then I start up again. My husband of 40 years is a current smoker and when I try to quit, I start back up because he stinks. It’s so much easier just to start again because it’s easier to kiss an ashtray when you’re one also. It’s time for me to quit making excuses and just do it. Looking for any advice that may help me quit. I am unable to take any medication because of the side effects of it. So I have to do this without medication. I really want to quit, it’s just so difficult! Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Barbscloud

@moonfox63 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  You came to the right place for advice, information and support. What you describe is common for many smokers wanting to quit. It took me 50 years and many attempts to finally get it right. When I found the Ex I learned how to quit for the first time.

Use this time leading up to your quit to learn about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan.   Knowledge and preparation have been the key to success for many quitters.  This link is great place to get you started.  https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Reinforce your quit by joining many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Reach out anytime you need some support.  We're here for you and want you to be successful.   You can do this with the right attitude and preparation.

Please consider creating your own post at My Journal/Blog on the home page to introduce yourself to the community and receive some well deserved support.

Stay busy and stay close. 

Barb

MollyLeis
Mayo Clinic

@moonfox63 I appreciate you reaching out for suggestions and support.  The more support you can get, the better.  Research has shown that people who get support tend to do better than those who just use medication alone.   That being said, we do know that medications improve people's chances 50-60%, so doing this cold turkey can be much more difficult.   It CAN be done though!!  Support, distraction, developing a plan for what to do when urges and cravings are present, using oral alternatives, and also developing a plan for stress and emotional triggers.  There are great ideas on this site and people here are great with support as well.  

I am curious as to the side effects of medications you are experiencing.  There are 7 approved medications that are used.  Chantix, Bupropion, Patches, gum, lozenges, nasal spray, and nicotine inhaler (which Pfizer stopped making, but it's still available online to buy).  Many times, if there are side effects we recommend a lesser dose.  One size doesn't necessarily fit all.  🙂   Even if it's just a little bit of a medication, it could help a little. 

About the Author
Professor of Medicine at the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Director of the Nicotine Dependence Center. An expert in tobacco use and dependence, Dr. Ebbert has authored and co-authored over 150 peer-reviewed scholarly articles on tobacco dependence and its treatment. Dr. Ebbert maintains an active clinical practice while conducting research on electronic nicotine delivery devices.