cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grounding Exercises to Redirect Thoughts or Cravings to Use Tobacco

DhivyaaManickam
Mayo Clinic
7 9 283

Grounding exercises to redirect thoughts or cravings to use tobacco  - Mayo Clinic Blog.png

When you find yourself (despite much concerted effort!) preoccupied with thoughts of smoking, vaping, or chewing tobacco, mindfulness activities (or, grounding exercises) can be helpful to cope with these moments. They may not be a cure-all, but they can certainly be something to try, and you might be surprised with the result!

In my conversations with patients, what they have found to be useful about these techniques is the versatility and ease of incorporating them into their day-to-day lives to cope with cravings.

Grounding exercises bring your attention to the present moment and make it impossible for you not to pay attention to this moment. For example, you could achieve this by holding onto an object (choose something that you are comfortable with) that is either warm, cold, or slightly heavy. Try to focus your attention on the feelings and sensations of this object as you are holding it.

I have had repeated success with this exercise using small pieces of ice cubes. At times, I have had success with a heavy book as well. I hold onto it for as long as it takes for me to only focus on the object in my hand. Training our mind to sensations of touch can be a great way to “check-in” with how our body is feeling in the present moment.

Physical sensations that bring us comfort can also relieve anxiety and stress because we train our minds to feel content in that moment over time. You may be incorporating these moments into your day, and not realize it! It could be that as you enjoy taking sips of your coffee or tea, you find solace in that moment.

Or, while you are strolling in the sun, you find you enjoy the sun’s warmth on your skin for just a few minutes. Such moments are crucial in helping us to self-regulate throughout our day by redirecting our cravings to use tobacco, and by giving us a break from the hustle and bustle of our daily life.

9 Comments
BRWQUEEN7

Wow, this is great advice. I'm going to start using these techniques.

Thank you!

DhivyaaManickam
Mayo Clinic

@BRWQUEEN7 Thank you! You'll have to come back and let know how it goes 🙂

Un1qu3

I am going to give this a try!

pcalvert3

I might try this. Yesterday morning I tried just writing my thoughts about cigarettes over and over again. Like, when I was trying not to smoke I would write "cigarettes burn and the smoke stinks" 5 or 6 times in a row, but just sitting there I would lose the battle and I guess my subconscious takes over and my conscious mind loses all control and I go outside and smoke a cigarette. A person from one of the other quit smoking services recommended a fidget device or something, which is similar to what you are recommending here. I try to remind myself that one cigarette just leads to another which leads to another etc. but my brain just won't catch and hold on so I will try the ice cube thing today. Thanks.

Barbscloud

@DhivyaaManickam Good advice for all areas of our life.  Going to give it a try when I'm feeling stressed.

Barb

TimMilbrandt
Mayo Clinic

It's great to read of folks interest in trying this. Please come back and let us know how it goes for you!

Mribbeck

awesome

Iamquittingnow

I love grounding exercises but I am going a step further. Going to the beach next week. Just walking through the sand with the sun in my face, grounds me for months. I also go to the park every day, walk around the lake, watch the ducks, and enjoy the sun and wind. Grounding has always given me the strength and will to deal with stress and aggravation.

Ice cubes don't do it for me though. I use dinner mints as a cigarette substitute. Every time a graving hits me, I get a mint and slowly dissolve it in my mouth. I keep a few in my pocket for emergencies. So far, so good.

TimMilbrandt
Mayo Clinic

@Iamquittingnow - Very nice activities - beach, sand, sun, lake, ducks, wind. It reminds me of something I recently experienced called Forest Bathing. In essence, it is going out and experiencing nature with intention and allowing other distractions to fall away. 

Thank you for sharing. 

About the Author
I completed my master's degree in Applied Behavior Analysis with experience in the mental health field in a variety of settings such as clinics, school, in-home, hospital, outpatient, and via different modalities including, in-person, video, and telephonic counseling. I currently work at the Nicotine Dependence Center at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN providing tobacco cessation counseling in the outpatient, hospital, and residential treatment settings.