cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake it Until YOU Make It!

NDC_Team
Mayo Clinic
13 8 501

Many smokers learn, “If I smoke, my mood gets better.”  While smoking in the short-term improves mood, it produces a decline in mood, long-term.  How do you take care of your mood while trying to quit smoking?  Have you heard the phrase, “Fake it till you make it?”  It is important when quitting smoking to develop a new plan for self-care to help boost your mood. One way to do this is through Behavioral Activation (BA).  The premise of BA is to increase your contact with “feel good” rewarding activities that are aligned with a goal, such as quitting smoking.  So while you may not feel like doing the distracting activity in your quit plan because of low mood, “fake it” and do it anyway.  If you force yourself, for example, to go for a walk when a craving hits, your thoughts will brighten and your mood will lift, preventing increased depression and keeping you on track with quitting.  The next time, you are feeling blue, force yourself to do an activity that you know in the end will bring you joy and help keep you on track with your goals.

Steps for behavioral activation:

1. Choose specific, positive actions you can take each day to improve your mood
  2. Notice when you feel resistance to engaging in a behavior you know will help you (e.g., "I don't feel like going for a walk," etc.)
  3. Acknowledge that the resistance may be due to existing stress or depression.
  4. Decide to do it anyway (fake it till you make it!)
  5. Notice how it improved your thoughts and feelings

Heather Kraling-Coons, MA

NDC Counselor/NCTTP

8 Comments
YoungAtHeart

It was a chilly, rainy, ugly morning in the mid-Atlantic today.  I decided pretty early that, given the temps, and knowing the pool temp was probably not going to reach above 79 - I was not going to swim my almost daily outdoor pool laps. I got grumpier and grumpier and grumpier and more out of sorts as the morning passed.  I had bought a Neoprene shirt, shorts and vest for just such a day.  So - I talked myself into trying, and decided if I couldn't make myself swim, I would at least water walk.

I ended up doing my 30 minutes of laps, in the rain (and I LOVE the feel of raindrops on my face!), and even had the treat of a Monarch butterfly on the bush next to the pool.

I came home relaxed, content, and have remained so for the rest of the day. 

All it takes is changing your mindset to GO for it!  I promise all who read this that it WILL make a difference - whether you are just quitting or 8+years into one like me!

Barbscloud

I walk with my dog two miles every morning no matter what the weather or some pain.  I never think about not walking--it's how can I accomplish it based on the conditions.  My neighbor equates me to the mailman.  You just have to be prepared with warm clothes, rain gear, early walks when it's hot and humid, etc.  Depending on the weather and time of year, I walk between 5:30 am and 7:00 am.  Then we take a short stroll in the afternoon.   In the past few years, I know I missed walking one day because it was 20 below with the windchill.  Thought I should give myself a break. 

Early in my quit, I would often just walk out the door when I had a craving.  Just walking a few blocks can refocus your thoughts.

Highly recommend walking.  

Barb

green1611

Nice Article as usual. Thank you Doctor..

In deed doing any other activity, (not smoking) in lieu of smoking is benefit. I remember my quitting days... I had kept four alternatives (1) go to walk, (2) read good book (3) watch the video which describe bad effects of smoking (there are plenty of those on internet (4) talk to dear ones... 

this is something I did when extremely doomed due to cravings !

It helped a lot... I think the story can be related to above fantastic article.

Thank you once again.

redpepper

Thanks for this, Youngatheart.7.14.12

Thnx so much!

redpepper

So helpful a boost and reminder. Just do it! Right? Right!

Sd4040

Just got out of prison after dreaming of getting a job that I could provide for wife and my baby boy who will be turning one on the 12 of September. And I am I’m doing it. Blessed with everything I ever dreamed of house two cars wife and my very own precious little man. I’ll be danged if I allow cigarettes and Vape to not let me enjoy watching him grow. 

Barbscloud

@Sd4040 Welcome to the Ex.  I see you've been reading and responding to posts. You have 113 days nicotine free?  That's fabulous.  It looks like you've done the hard work to make your dreams come true.  You must be so proud.

Is there anything we can do to help you maintain your quit?  You might find this helpful at this stage of quitting.

Re: February Quitters - Page 18 - EX Community

We're here for you if need support.  Just reach out.  I know how much it contributed to my success.

Stay close.

Barb

Sd4040

Thank you for your time I’ll look at that now

About the Author
The Nicotine Dependence Center at Mayo Clinic has been home to physicians, nurse practitioners, Master’s / PhD level counselors, trained TTS’, and amazing office staff for a total of 30 years, all working together to treat individuals who struggle with tobacco use. Counselors meet with an individual to develop their own personalized plan, discuss coping strategies, and provide ongoing support along the journey towards a tobacco-free life. As part of the process, counselors work with physicians and nurse practitioners to provide nicotine replacements and other medications for smoking cessation as needed. We are happy to be involved with the EX Community and we hope our experiences and expertise can help in your journey towards a tobacco-free life. View the link in our signature to see our individual Biographies.