cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

edith2

My Story

I was born and raised in Utah. Yes, I was raised a Mormon. I always felt different from the rest of the family because I'm next to the youngest of 5 siblings. My little sister was the baby so she got lots of attention. I remember feeling left out and not a part of very early in life. I found out at age 11 that I had a severe tyroid problem and I gained alot of weight. My skin got so dry in places that it was cracking. I remember having to wear socks to bed to keep the sauve on. I was teased alot by the kids, but the worst thing I remember was the rejection. So I became a loner at a very early age. In my Freshman year of high school, my dad sent me to a private school to get me away from the mean kids. I lost 70 pounds that year. Then I decided to go to public high school. After becoming "skinny" I was treated different. But I still felt like that little fat girl and didn't know which group I belonged in. I found the easiest group to be in was the "stoners." I started out getting drunk and I loved it. For the first time in my life, I didn't care what others thought of me when I was drunk. Then I started smoking pot. Soon after that it was psycadelics and I was steering towards heroin because it was popular. Instead I went into a drug rehab program in Seattle. This was after I moved to Washington because of my Dad's work. Also, I had started smoking cigarettes when I was 15. I stayed in rehab for over 2 years. It was long-term treatment, not 28-day spin dry. I tried "social drinking" once back in '76, but that didn't work. My addict wanted MORE! I helped start Narcotics Anonymous in the area I live now and it's still going strong. In the 32 years I've been clean, I've been married and divorced twice, my mother died, my cousin died, I lost jobs, my kids went away to live with their dad, and I went into such a bad depression 8 years ago that I went to the psych ward so I wouldn't hurt myself. Then in 2004, I quit smoking. Life does go on. Right now I'm going through a real bad financial hardship. But two things that NO ONE can take away from me is my clean date and the day I quit smoking. I know not to be selfish and share my experience, strength and hope with others as it was so freely given to me.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jim_taddeo

Indeed! Thank you Edith, for sharing and caring. 🙂 Your contributions to helping others is definitely appreciated. There is nothing pretty or easy about addiction EXCEPT RECOVERY. You are helping that to happen. God bless you.
0 Kudos
edith2

Thank you Jim, I really appreciate your support.
0 Kudos
kawika47

Aloha Edith.
Thank you for all of the help yesterday. I too have a long sorted history of abuse to me and to myself. I think it is great to put it down on paper. As part of my recovery process, I am writing a book I have chosen to call Frankly I am American. Starting with 3yo when the divorce process went over and over with my mom, religious process of the south, drugs all the way to the worst of the day. Military, gay, country obligation, etc.
I am clean of everything and have been for many years, except for the legal drugs of choice, like alcohol and cig. I quit drinking yesterday, I was going to quit smoking but only made it to 3 pm. I have deceided to go back to the EX material when I figure out how and do the complete plan from start to picking that quit day.
I find reading a book called Rational Recovery, I can stop the drinking without much distress. I did it recently for three months and found an excuse strong enough to kick me back into the cycle about 4 months ago, so here I quit again.
Thank you, thank you.
0 Kudos
edith2

Hey Kawika! I totally value your friendship and I really like reading what you have to say. This is my fourth time quitting so I'm in the same boat. I'm here for ya and I'll help you any way I can.
0 Kudos
edith2

Thank you so much for your encouragement DJ! I appreciate it so much. I love it that you understand where I'm coming from. I am trying to keep a positive attitude and I'm not giving up on myself. Even though sometimes I feel that way, there are always, always things that happen that help me change my mind. Like getting supportive letters from you. Thank you.
0 Kudos
jim_taddeo

Connections are cool. 🙂 Welcome to the family.........Jim
0 Kudos
edith2

You ARE part of this family! I'm real glad that you're here DJ!
0 Kudos