cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Chronic obstructive lung disease linked to asthma

A follow up study reveals that people with asthma are more likely to develop chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in later life.
In chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), there is progressive lung damage which causes difficulty in breathing and increasing disability. Traditionally, COPD and asthma, where the airways are over-reactive, have been regarded as different diseases. A study from the University of Arizona, in the US, suggests they may in fact be linked.

The team looked at a group of over 3,000 subjects of whom 192 currently had asthma, and another 156 had had a diagnosis of asthma at one time. They were followed up for 20 years, with periodic lung function tests to see who developed COPD. Those with active asthma had a 12.5 times increased risk of developing COPD. The reason for this link is unknown but, since those with active asthma tended to die earlier, it’s important that they are monitored and treated. Avoiding exposure to cigarette smoke and environmental pollution could also be important in protecting those with asthma from COPD.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Carol6

I do have asthma. But hopefully I can get out in the country in the next few years and hopefully my lung function will improve with cleaner air. 

Carol
There is always someone who needs your attention on ex. Let's ensure everyone has someone supporting them.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have asthma/COPD overlap according to my lungs function  tests  . You can have both I was told by my pulmonologist . That's alI I  know and oh ya smoking is not good for either . 

Thanks for the informative article @Thomas3.20.2010 . Love reading your blogs ..

0 Kudos