cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandolinrain

Fresh Growth in Winter Season from an Ex Friend

I got such a beautiful gift yesterday I had to share..... My friend Patricia,

IrishRose‌ sent me ~ this garden -outdoorzee woman a very cool plant and it arrives safe and sound. It is Oregano. I have had many Oregano plants in my garden but never this particular variety. It looks sorta like Begonia . Anyway, thanks so much Pat. I adore it and am even getting ready to root a start off of it to be on the safe side.

Love and Hugs~Missy

It's in a bit of shock right now because I was at work when it arrived yesterday , and as you can see out the window, we have that 'WHITE STUFF' but it already is looking much better after being repotted

IMG_3214.jpg

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
43 Replies
IrishRose

Daniela2016‌ , when I go somewhere and there is a hyacinth anywhere in the vicinity, my nose will find it.  I do the same thing you do, because I love them.

My brother reminded me about the lilac when we were in a candle store.  I picked up this candle and reverted back to my very early childhood.  It was an indescribable recall, and I shoved the candle under my brother's nose, and told him that it reminded me of when I was a little kid.  He proceeded to look at the label and said, "Patricia, there was a lilac bush growing at the old house we lived in before we moved to the apartment.  You never remembered that house anytime I have asked you about it, but you sure do remember the scent of that lilac growing in front of it.  You were only two or three years old."  I got goosebumps all over.  It was kind of freaky.   The candle came home with me.

I love your photos.  Your wedding photo is beautiful!!!       

elvan

Daniela2016‌ Your wedding photo is beautiful...I love the smell of hyacinths, they really are amazing AND resilient.

Daniela2016

Thank you Ellen, elvan‌, when I was working for the same company but in a way bigger office, people would enter the floor and start searching where the beautiful smell came from.  I kept them on my desk for as long as the season lasted. 

One time I found Lily of the Valley at Trader Joe's in a small metal planter, but that was just one time.

However I also buy Freesia, even if just cut, their perfume is so delicate, I need my nose in the flower to really smell it.  I also think the variety I can find in the store these days is a little different, bigger, stronger, and probably lost some of the fragrance to the appearance.  Because I remember too well, I have 2 cousins born in March, and a small bouquet of 5-7 flowers (our bouquets are always odd numbers, never even) were able to emanate such sweet perfume in a whole room.

Daniela2016

Thank you IrishRose‌, I am not surprised by your early childhood memories, I have some of my own, and they are mostly smells, spring flowers in my aunt's garden, the smell of Christmas (sweet walnut bread baking, along with roast, and the real Christmas tree smell.  Some of them I re-create every year with baking and cooking. I am calling back good memories when the family was united, and met at every holiday, now, even if I were there, things are no longer the same, isn't it?

IrishRose

I am able to duplicate the scent of Thanksgiving with my Mom's turkey cooking in the oven.  I will cook a turkey with stuffing if it is just my husband and I.  My puppy beast holds her head up to smell the air, and she lies in the kitchen waiting patiently to get some turkey too.  Christmas is another story.  I miss the smell of real trees, and they just do not have them here where I live.  It's like they mass produce these trees, and they do not smell.  I remember living in New York as a child and us dragging a real tree from the tree farm and it had such a wonderful smell.  I hate artificial trees.  We used to use these big bulbs.  Remember the ones that got real hot.  It's hard to believe that the trees did not catch on fire, but they were so fresh, I guess, and we always kept the water pot filled with water.  That was my job, because I was the youngest, and I could crawl under the tree to pour the water in the holder.  No, Lady, things are not the same anymore.  Seems like families are either displaced, dysfunctional or transit now.  It's kind of a sad time of year, anymore.  I really believe it is because people have lost the old traditions of the manger under the tree so-to-speak.  Life was simpler back then.  Families were closer.  Traditions were more important than expensive gifts and fancy decorations.  My Mom would wrap the Thanksgiving turkey bone with ribbon and hang it on the tree.  I forgot how many bones she had on that tree year after year.  My brother got the bones, but then he got a divorce, so I have no idea where the bones are now.  We would make a wish and break the dried out Christmas turkey bone on New Year's Day, me and my Mom.  I was the baby in the family, with three older brothers and one older sister.  Just me and one brother are left; everyone else is gone.  

Getting teary-eyed again.  Good grief!!!  

Daniela2016

I am just happy our son grew up in our tradition, and I did all I could through think and thick, to keep it alive.  His wife is growing fonder more and more at least about the food.  Small differences otherwise, we celebrate Christmas Eve, at her house is Christmas day, but up till this year (and the kids are together for over 7 years now, married for over 2) they spent Christmas at our house every 2 years, alternating with her parents.  Now they just bought their own house, they might want to start their own tradition, but for this year I am expecting them at the house on the 20th at night.  I am happy like a kid expecting Christmas!

IrishRose

Daniela2016‌ , children really make the season its brightest.  They appreciate all you do with the food, decorating the tree, helping to wrap things, making things to put on the tree.  They absolutely love helping out when they are little.  They get into the joy of bonding and giving of oneself.  They want to help get their hands into the cookie dough, preparing pies, etc.  They get so excited, and it is the twinkle in their eye when you look at them - it makes it all worth while.  That is the bonding I speak of, the little ones, before they are tainted with how society wants you to be during the season. 

I am sitting here thinking of when my daughter was a little girl and my granddaughter.  My daughter and I would always wear our pajamas for Thanksgiving.  It would annoy some that came to have dinner with us, but we did not care.  It was a day to enjoy each other, be thankful and RELAX.  We passed that tradition on to her daughter, my granddaughter.  A pair of flannel pants and a warm shirt was all we needed.  You did not have to get dressed up for Thanksgiving, at least we did not think so.  hahahahaha

Now, I am just an old Grinch, I guess.        

Giulia

Love the turkey bones on the tree story.  What a wonderful thing.  I have a container full of chicken bones collected over the years.  Perhaps I'll put one up on the tree this year.

IrishRose

Giulia‌ , my Mom would wrap them with ribbon, and tie it off at the top with a little piece to slip one of those little metal ornament hangers onto it.  Then, she would use one of those old Christmas tags you would use for gifts, and write the Christmas, and the year on it.  I wish I knew where those bones were.  After my brother divorced, a nasty divorce I might add, he remarried, but then he died Thanksgiving week five years ago, and his wife is not speaking to me.  I have no idea why either, but as is life, people come and people go, some stay, some leave - it's called life.

Anyway, the bones were so very cool, and they dated back to some time in the 1930's.  I always loved putting them on the tree as a kid.  I would line them up by year on the sofa, and one by one, place each bone on the tree.   

YoungAtHeart

Do you know where the turkey bone on the tree tradition came from?  I would imagine the tree would not be safe if there were fur babies around!!!!