cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read a member curated list of EX Community content over 10+ years

SimplySheri

Your Quit Is Not Here

~~You will see me struggle but you will never see me quit.~~  Unknown

You aren't going to find your quit here.  You will find suggestions, advice, encouragement, tips, hints, and information.  But you won't find your quit here.

You aren't going to find your quit in an NRT.  No patch has the answer for you.  No gum takes the challenge from you.

Your quit is within you.  Seriously.  Take time away from the internet, away from well-intentioned friends, away from all the information on why quitting is necessary and good and do-able.

Take time to look within.  Are you willing to stop believing you will fail?  Do you know that quitting is entirely possible AND that you can do it?  Can you acknowledge that it is time to stop setting yourself up to fail and just do it, come hell or high water?  Most importantly, are you willing to undergo anything....absolutely anything....rather than pick up another cigarette?

Because those who are serious about quitting no matter what, will quit.  Those who give themselves an out by doubting themselves, by being worried about failing, by wondering if they are ready, usually don't.

You see, the quit isn't in the NRTs, although they can certainly help the craves.  The quit isn't in the support, although support while quitting can inspire and motivate.  The quit isn't even in this site, although this site is the absolute BEST for information, knowledge, support, and wisdom.

The quit, my friend, is in you.  Only you.  And if you succeed, it's because you wanted to.  And if you return to smoking, it's because you wanted to.  Not something you want to hear, I know.  It's not the stress and it's not the pain and it's not the loss you suffered that returns you to cigarettes, it's you.

So take smoking off the table.  Once you quit, KNOW in your heart that you will never....no matter what....ever pick up another one.  It's there in you where you'll find your quit.  It's through your strength, your commitment, your courage that you will keep your quit.

The NRTs, the EX site, the friendships.....are all for maintaining what you already have inside you.  You are the foundation of your quit.  Know that.  Because once you do, you will find your quit and you will delight in it.  I'm sure of it 🙂 

Tags (1)
104 Replies

Welcome.

Coming up on 13 years

Ashley1985

I really needed to hear this.  I know a big part of my quit is changing how I think and feel.  I think about it like getting on diving board and being afraid to jump but when you jump you faced your fear.  So with smoking I know I have to take that leap that jump off the diving board.

YoungAtHeart

Ashley1985 I think most of us felt that fear - life without nicotine is a distant memory for most.  We are unsure how we will cope, how we will deal with withdrawals.

I can tell you that the early difficulties DO end!  I have been quit for over 7 years now - and I felt just as you do on the eve of my quit.  You will do it just as I did - one day (sometimes an hour) at a time - moving forever forward.

Just don't argue with yourself about quitting. You already made the decision - so just stick to it -NO MATTER WHAT!

Ashley1985

Thank you so much! My quit date was October 3. It's been pretty difficult

but I am so determined that I will stay a non smoker. I am glad to get

your insights.

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019, 11:52 PM Redhead101 <communityadmin@becomeanex.org>

Giulia

Kudos on the four days, Ashley.  Just take this one day at a time.  Stay determined.  You'll never regret it.

0 Kudos
Ashley1985

Thank you I tell myself every day I'm smoke free.  My cousin is quitting with me.  She feels she doesn't need EX but I do.  I appreciate all the help I can get.

0 Kudos
Redhead101

Thank you!,,,,I'm still smokfree I sometimes  shock myself  but I am doing it no matter what I kept telling  myself  that ,so it worked so far ,

LoisLL

The Quit is exactly what I needed to see today =Day 1. I’m about to change my life. The line that hooked me was “The quit is on you. .. you will quit if you want to. You will go back to smoking if you want to.. 

Dani2154

That's really inspiring!

0 Kudos
Lyn444

I’m on day 6 and it has been somewhat harder. Wondering when it will get easier. I cried half the day! An emotional withdrawal symptom, i guess. Like i lost my best friend. Even though i know that’s a lie! More like my worst enemy. Called a friend to help. 

0 Kudos