cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShawnP

Shawn's journey

Well where do i start? I love to cook and bake when I have time. I am an extreme couponer so I am always stocking up on something that most likely isn't always good for me. With the price of food these days, its hard to feed an army of guys. So you have to do what you have to do. Its pricey to buy all  fresh meats, vegetables and fruits all the time.  I can't say I am in love with food. I just eat to get by. When i used to smoke, i smoked and hardly ate which helped me to maintain my weight even though i wasn't at a healthy weight, still am not either. I used to eat once a day and my mom would always scold me and tell me that i need to eat 3x a day that i am putting my body into starvation mode. I know thats not how i got this way in my teenage years but it might be the scenario dating back 20 yrs ago to present. I have tried quite a few diets but never stuck with them cause i get discouraged when i hit plateaus.  I have done everything from Adkins, mayo and WW.  I had put on about 30 lb after i quit smoking and also after i tried my moms diet from her dr. Not sure what happened but i went the opposite way of what i was supposed to go immediately when i started hers. I know i am close to mid 40's now and going through some changes. I was able to lose that 30 when i had one day decided to order a fitbit zip and start tracking my food. I feel naked when i dont have my zip. Its on me 24/7. I really love it cause i have become more energetic with it. I dont really have an exercise plan besides walking.  When the weather warms up, i will get to the parks daily. I also get my steps in at work too. I do cleaning so i am always all over the place 🙂 Although the weight isnt coming off as it used to,  i think its cause my body has adapted to my night routine. I just started a new diet today from the book "the miracle metabolism" by Diane Kress. So day 1 is almost over and 2 more to go. You have to go through a withdrawal period of 3 days. Sound familiar to when we stopped smoking? So bear with me if i get cranky LOL. I will update you along the way. My journal, hmmm

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
87 Replies

Shawn I have the fitbit charge and your right, I have mine charging now and it's ahhh I don't have it on . Your Mom was right you have to eat throughout the day to keep your metabolism going.  I don't think 3X is even enough.  Everyone is different and everyone has a journey but I do not believe in diets.  I believe in eating healthy and moving.  I mention a few good DVD's on mine that get into being able to do the exercise at home that anyone can do even when bad weather.

Enjoy your Saturday and extreme coupon that sounds like fun:):).

0 Kudos
ShawnP

I have wii fit too. Also i had bought a game for the wii called walk it out. Its fun. You build an entire island. Every step counts  and with those points you buy palms trees, cars buildings etc. I've been doing it over a year and still haven't got it done but i dont always do it daily either. I did this in winter time but for some reason my fitbit only picks up half the steps thus if i am in a challenge on fitbit, i dont get credit for it. Either way that I do, i am still getting the exercise in to be more active and healthy. I will check out the dvd's. The couponing can be addictive!! Thanks for the visit:) Have a great saturday too. 

0 Kudos
John10forteen

Hi, Come to visit.

I pay attention to meat prices because I can, do jerky and freeze dinners. The canning is the best.

So my lowest buy price on BEEF is $3.49/lb / Chx Quarters $0.77lb / Bnls, Sknls Breasts $1.79lb.

Shawn, I'm going to copy and paste your plans on another discussion page if thats ok. I'm putting all these different ideas together. Thanks so much for taking the time to share.

REMEMBER It's a lifestyle, Not a Race. CONGRATS day one!

0 Kudos
ShawnP

Day 2 almost over. Been looking through recipes. Has anybody tried a cauliflower crust before? i wonder how this would taste for pizza. I see that people are raving about it. i might try but i have to think its not "pizza" otherwise i will be disappointed. I do make cream of cauliflower and i can eat that instead of potatoes. That i do love. I dont have many symptoms of withdrawal except a craving earlier for something sweet. I dont eat sweets but once a week, why now with the craving? lol For my snack before bedtime, I will have cottage cheese and either mix it with sugar free gelatin or put some sugar free marmalade in there. Sort of desperate haha. I dont like plain cottage cheese. We always used to make that cottage cheese dessert with jello, pineapple, mandarine oranges and cool whip. I cant have any fruit and dont have any sugar free jello mix on hand, just the one that is already made. It will be sort of fun to experiment with foods now. We all know the saying " you can't knock it until you try it"

0 Kudos
djmurray

Welcome to the group, Shawn!!  So glad you're joining us.  I just blogged in the big group about my first walk today, which wasn't as much as I had hoped, but I was having trouble breathing and it needed to be cut short.  I still got about 15 minutes of walking, though, which is a start.

It sounds like you're really a cook and that's awesome.  I'm not, so I am happy to find the things that I can make quickly and enjoy.  I do love fish and seafood, and I tried another kind of tilapia tonight and liked that as well.

I will write more tomorrow -- it's almost midnight and I was up and at 'em at 7:30 this morning, so it's time to turn in.  I will post my regular Sunday weigh in tomorrow morning.  I weigh myself on my own bathroom scale and make myself wait until Sunday morning to do it.  Last week I almost fainted because despite being very disciplined I went UP 2.2 pounds.  I will be astonished if that happens again, but Rome wasn't built in a day, I didn't put this weight on in a week, so it will have to be what it has to be. 

0 Kudos
John10forteen

I don't see anything desperate about the cottage cheese thing. I see FANTASTIC & DELICIOUS. Good stuff Shawn.

I read about your concern about going to Nashville. My Approach For ANY Upcoming EVENT: Like quitting smoking, this is not our first rodeo. In the past I've dealt with holidays and events by FREEZING my expectations or plans. 

How I do this is? About a week before the event, I know my weight. I freeze that weight in my brain, I continue my healthy habits for the week previous to the event. If all goes well, My body can handle a bit of splurging during the event. When you get back and if you overdid it.... You allow yourself 2 days to get back to your "Frozen Weight" Nothing lost nothing gained and you had a good time.

But remember we are trying to enjoy our healty habits so they should be enjoyable anywhere.(Thus allowing for a little indulgence.. NOT hogwild!)

0 Kudos

Morning and by the way I have the Wii fit too.  I have not used in a few years and right now I really do love what I am doing for my workouts.  Yes I also like games the only reason I really go on facebook is to play a few of the games I play and to keep up with my family.  They are all out East.  I just try to keep the computer to a minimum since I need to get up and enjoy the extra time from not smoking.  

Being Free is Beautiful!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
ShawnP

I am home from my shopping trip. I didn't get any bread. Having a hard time finding one that is within my limits of 5 carbs or less. I did find one that is 7. Its called Natures own dbl fiber wheat.  I might in the end buy it and cut off a top portion of it possibly. I could always use the tops for croutons or something lol. I didn't think it was going to be this hard to find something that would suit me. It's amazing that the healthier the  food is supposed to be for you such as wheat oat grain breads contains more sugar in them than white bread. I am sure it's to mask the taste and give it more flavor. Otherwise it would taste blah! This part is a little discouraging because i love bread, Italian, french, sourdough etc. Give me a loaf with some butter and i am happy as can be. That can even be my meal. I hope to find something that i will like in the end. I do want this to be a part of a lifetime change. I might look to see if there is any that i can make on my own thats decent.
  As my son and I were leaving walmart, he asked me if i wanted a gummy bear. I love those things but told him that i am not allowed. He looked at the package and said there is only 23 grams. Open your mouth mom! I said NOOO!! Noooo! I can't do this. This reminds me of quitting smoking when that craving comes and we keep saying NO. I know all this is just a tiny bump in the road. I will get through as always!
0 Kudos

Your doing great!!   I LOVE bread and butter.  Let me know how it is.   I'm not eating as much of it as I normally do on the weekend since I always have at least two pieces whole grain in the mornig with butter. Just the weekend though.  

0 Kudos