cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Journey to "Back to Healthy"

Well I'm 53 and I quit smoking on 12/28.  The next week I went out and bought a fitbit to get me moving more so I would keep control of the weight gain.  I am as of this morning 161.  When I started my quit back on 12/28 I was 155.  I am not looking for skinny I have no desire for that at all.  With my walking I have had some issues with my knees and hips and know if I can get down 10 pounds I will be able to move easier.  

I know you might think 10 pounds is easy peasy.  It's not for me.  I have always been able to control my eating at night.  It is just a habit to eat small at dinner and nothing else period.  I brush my teeth and even if I go to bed a little hungry that's OK.  

Even though this has controlled my weight to a certain point I eat a lot during the day and don't have much control over it.  I stress eat and geeze do I have a lot of stress at work.  I have started walking 3 times a day at work and two of the walks are small walks but they do help and distract me.

I really want to cut back slowly I would totally fail if I tried something like you are doing Donna.  I just don't have that much control with food.  Still Matcha tea free but once I get it I will happily report on how it is.  

PS:  did not do any cut back today on food but did get at 5:45PM 8,515 steps so did not get my 10,000.  Once it warms up I can do a little walking in the evening but too cold still.  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
163 Replies
elvan

I think you are doing spectacularly well.  I have had the opposite issues with eating...I eat very little all day but then I eat at night and eat and eat and eat.  I found that whenever I tried to not eat before bedtime, that I had terrible chills.  Probably because I didn't really get enough calories during the day.  Really do have to work on learning more about nutrition, it is not something I am very good at.

0 Kudos
John10forteen

Hi Bonnie, So glad you started your own story. I was really wondering about the step counting thing and I do not like FADs BUT I love that FitBit idea. I've seen the advertisement and and thought yea.....ok.......sorta fad "ish"  (not fattish) he he. Anyway thanks to you, I totally think it is an awesome tool.

Another great thing about your blog is how it brings to point that we all may have different roads to the same happy place. But try to use the same tools we did for quitting smoking. 

Copy and paste made a different font

Step 1 of quitting smoking is (ReLearning Habit)

Start relearning your eating habits by recording them, tracking them like we did with the ciggs and noticing our times and then reducing the moments.

Step 2 of quitting smoking is (ReLearning the Addiction)

FOR THIS GROUP I'm saying Step 2 is (ReLearning the Impulse) We had to relearn our addiction by staying away from triggering situations and sometimes it was tough, missing family get togethers, not going out , Not having friends over.

Now we have to relearn our impulses and stay away from triggers. There are things that trigger eating impulses and we have to recognize them and say "I don't do that anymore"

Loved your blog, thanks for sharing. (and yes, 10 lbs can be very very tough to keep off)

0 Kudos

With the fitbit you get an online service to track your food.  I did pretty good when I had access at work but then they stopped it.  I come here in the evenings and your right I need to take the time to do it.  I will make it a priority to get back into it.  

Thank you for the suggestion.  

0 Kudos
djmurray

You're doing great, Bonnie -- each of us are on our own journey.  I'm doing the Medifast diet because I let my eating get out of control, and I'm at 210 and only 5' 3" tall.  With 60 pounds to lose I don't have the patience to do it the old fashioned way and spend a year carefully counting calories.  Instead I can deal with discomfort for a few months, come out the other side having lost a considerable amount of the weight and then move into sensible, healthy eating.  It fits my personality.  Sheri wrote a beautiful blog today about each of us doing our quit our own way, and that's also how this weight thing goes.  I envy you that you have 10 pounds to lose, and I don't for a minute think that it's easy-peasy. 

Thanks to all who are participating in this group.  I love having the same outlet for the diet as I do for the quit.  You guys are great!!

0 Kudos

I do need to clarify I have 20 pds I should lose but my goal is 10.  Not sure if I will ever worry about the last 10.  I just know I do feel better and my knees and hips appreciate it more when I don't have that 10 on.  And Donna if anyone can do it you can

Happy Friday.  Just taking a quick look during lunch. 

0 Kudos
John10forteen

I'm just glad we're talking about it and sharing. It really is helping me get my head staright. Thank you all.

0 Kudos

Just received my Matcha tea and my new DVD.  Was also just approved overtime starting next week.  I do not want to go back to 9.5 to 10 hour days 5 days a week the exercise goes down the tube when I do.  Only approved for 4 hours a week so hope to keep it that way so I can still get some workouts in.  My drive is an hour each way so not much time left in a day when overtime added on.  

0 Kudos

I also want to state one more thing to get it out there.  I remember when I first quit and when I was reading stories and I saw someone who smoked 10 cigarettes a day for 10 years or 5 years I thought.  Whatever that will be easy for you.  Everybodys journey is different and being an addict is being an addict I had no right to judge them and think they had anything less than I did to accomplish.  

I know that you could be discounting me since I only want to lose 10 pounds but please don't.  This is something I take to heart and am totally comitted to doing.  I'm not good at losing weight, it just seems to keep on adding on every year.  No I have not dealt with weight issues my entire life it has been more the last 13 years.  

I wear a size 12 now and I don't even care if I get to wear the same size but they aren't tight I just want to be heathy.  

Thank you everyone I count on you guys.  

0 Kudos
elvan

I would not discount losing ten pounds...I don't think losing any weight is easy.  I just want to feel HEALTHIER.  I want to feel better and I need guidance.  I am counting on you too.  

0 Kudos