cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John10forteen

John's Living Room

Check out my progress here

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3/5/15:

My start weight for March = 260.4 lbs.

My long term (1 year) Goal = Maintain 200 - 210 lb wt average without smoking.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
155 Replies
John10forteen

3/5/15 My Story

I'm fairly tall and was always slender. As the story is told in my family, the first words out of my mouth as a baby were "More Please" We lost the farm when I was three years old, but it is told that my father would often have helpers that joined us for meals throughout thier stays. On one paticular morning for breakfast, my father bet a young man helper I could eat more pancakes than him. Unbeknownst to me at 3 years old, the competition started. After ten pancakes I said one more time, "more please". It is said the young helper forced a twelveth pancake down  as not to be beat by a baby. I never  stopped eating like that until my mid 40's... Whammo, spare tire, where did that come from? Never ever again to be that tall lanky guy. Now I was the BIG DUDE! It has it;s perks...... 

As an adolescent, I helped my father build a hot dog truck. He liked cooking and I liked eating. The truck was successful for it's time and I worked all his routes and weekend auctions. I grew up with food. He eventually opened a resturant and I went in the Air Force. 

My obvious point is I LOVE FOOD! it's in my blood (well of course it is) And for me to restrict myself is going to be a hard thing to do. I keep coming up with things to eat before I start my healthy eating habit. Eggs benedict ahhhhh hollandaise sauce yikes, lots of butter and eggs YEA MAN.

Oh Oh, am I romancing a crave here? OMG I haven't started yet, I gotta go make some. This is a real argument in my head. See ya all later

0 Kudos
djmurray

MY RESPONSE TO YOUR COMMENTS IN MY BLOG:

Thanks, John, for your kind words.  I do think that we are valuing our health more than ever, and that's a good thing.  We will be able to enjoy food, but in moderation.  We can enjoy being smoke free (because when it comes down to it, we didn't enjoy it -- we just convinced ourselves we did).  And as far as drinking is concerned, you quit and I hardly do it.  I come from a family of alcoholics and was married for 20 years to an alcoholic, and I just never had the connection wtih it.  When I was first drinking I would have two and get sick, so I never saw what the pleasure in it was!  I think I was very fortunate.  So if someone said I could never have another drink it wouldn't even cause a tiny bit of concern. 

Yes, we are discovering the new joys together!  Thank you, my friend.

MY RESPONSE TO YOUR BLOG:

John, I did the EXACT same thing before I started this diet -- I ate Klondikes like crazy - I ate as much candy as I wanted -- I loaded up on the bread and butter I love.  Now, one might say why in the world would you eat too much when you're going to be going on a diet and having to lose it right away?  Because my mouth and my tiny little "I want" brain said GO FOR IT BEFORE YOU CAN'T.

So I cannot judge possibly judge you for going for it.  I gently suggest that you set a date for your "quit" from not eating healthy foods but it's your "quit" and when you're ready you will do it.  In the meantime, thank you from the bottom of my heart for supporting me in my food quit.

0 Kudos

Oh sure mention eggs benedict one of my favorites.  I always had a crazy metabolism too.  When I moved out to CO 18 years ago with my husband at 36 I was a size 1.  And boy did I eat.  Then 40 hit and everything changed.  

Also John Thank You for serving our Country.  My brother John did too.

0 Kudos
John10forteen

You are welcome and thanks to your brother also. The boys and the famillies today need all our love and support. now.

Yea, I think I'll make a couple loaves of bread, fry some bacon, make hobo toast and smother it all with hollandaise sauce before I start my healthy journey.

0 Kudos
John10forteen

3/6/15 257.8 (-2.6lbs) scale fluctuation? no effort yet, I did not eat a lot yesterday, 

2 Bowls of Chili / 1 sleeve saltines / 1 chicken thigh with skin / 1 thick slice of white bread.

Today I'm off to Springfield Mass to watch my Neice in a Robotics competition. Road Trip = Food plus I have my bread in the oven and may have a super breakfast before I go. Fear of quitting is creating an excuse for indulgence. 

0 Kudos
djmurray

As I've said before, I totally relate to the excuse for indulgence.  That is one difference between the smoking quit and the eating change.  I don't think any of us smoked twice as many cigarettes because we were anxious, but the eating thing can really trigger excuses to go wild.  I did it and now the first part of this diet is taking off the weight I've put on in the last two months.  Oh, well.  It truly is what it is.

Have a great day and I know you're going to get this thing going. 

0 Kudos
elvan

I don't know about that...I mean, it seemed like every time I planned a quit, I smoked more.  I just could not stop.  My issue is certainly eating too much when I eat, if I like it, I eat waaaay too much and then feel incredibly uncomfortable.  I need to know HOW to eat, WHAT to eat, to make myself have more energy and more capacity to heal.  I need to lay off sugar more than anything else said the person with a bag of candy next to the bed, just in case.

0 Kudos
John10forteen

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

I tried to post a picture of my hobo toast benedict, (Lots of holandaise sauce and 1/2 lb bacon.Sooo good. DONE with that one. 2 bags of popcorn with extra butter, A big slice of pizza, Latino Beef Pattie, and a pizza roll... not too bad today, I'll see the story it tells tomorrow morning.

By the way, I'm not playing here. I'm very serious. It may sound like i'm goofing about but I'm not. I'm still on step one relearning my habits and I'm sharing them with you all. I have time to do this. My quit date is 3/28/15

Like you Ellen I smoked much more. I remember chain smoking, lying to myself saying the sooner I finished the sooner I'd quit.... but then go buy more cigs. 

My plan right now is to eat like I eat and watch my weight.. Thanks much 4 the support and comments.

0 Kudos

So not fair.  You also know that men lose weight faster than women do right?

0 Kudos