cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John10forteen

History of archived / obsolete discussions

3/5/15 I'm attempting to clean up the group site by saving several trial and and early, comments, discussions and etc without deleting them all. I copied and pasted them here. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
John10forteen

Group discussion is our private BLOG..... YAAAYY

John 10.16.14        

11 badges

John 10.16.14
3 days ago

We all have been writing in "COMMENTS" but there is no easy way to comment to a comment. I was staying away from the BLOG... because it went to the community QUIT SMOKiNG BLOG.... and this is more off topic.

Group Discussion allows to comment on each others journey without pushing it onto the whole community.

I will discuss my journey tomorrow... More freaking snow to shovel today uggggh

Delete Edit

elvan        

12 badges

elvan
3 days ago

Thanks, John.  I had no idea how to do that.

Delete Edit

djmurray Quit Date 12-31-14        

8 badges

2 days ago

Hi, John -- I'm a little confused about how these groups work -- maybe Giulia can give us some advice because she's the owner of Best of EX.  Just a thought.  I am totally exhausted, so I'm not going to write much here, but I'll blog about the weight in the regular section of our group.

Delete Edit

0 Kudos
John10forteen

John's Commitment One Day......My interactive journey

John 10.16.14        

11 badges

John 10.16.14
2 days ago

My wife often roll's her eyes when my reply to her query is, "I'm studying on it" But that's what I do. I ponder and study on things and often accomplish nothing, (justifying the "eye roll") 

When I do act though, it is with educated determination not to be thwarted by unexpected curveballs or unrealistic expectations. 

That's one of the magical things about this site, a vehicle which educated me through the unforseen, the seeminly impossible and the unknown. This time after many times I was not thwarted and I am no longer a smoker.

Donna, you are  forging forward, you threw down the gauntlet, you were brave and bold by putting it on the table and stating our plan. You have absolutely inspired me to do the same. I'm studying on it a bit longer but One Day soon will be Day One for me and my healthy habit journey. I'm eager to share.

Delete Edit

elvan        

12 badges

elvan
2 days ago

Very good, I am eager for you to share and to do the studying and pondering for me.

Delete Edit

John 10.16.14        

11 badges

John 10.16.14
yesterday

Well, right now I'm pondering when my quit day is going to be. I'm scared to commit to it When am I going to quit eating unhealthy. When am i going to quit overeating, When am I going to quit making excuses. 

On March 28th 2012 I made three priorities in my life 1) Get to my prescribed target weight of 200-225. 2) Quit drinking. 3) Quit smoking. Since then I have accomplished all three and relapsed with all three. But now I have #2 and #3 under control. It's time for #1. So maybe March 28th, but that's kind of far away so maybe I'll start juicing a bit, slow down on my overeating a bit and eat a bit healthier.

A plan without execution is only wishful thinking. 

Delete Edit

elvan        

12 badges

elvan
yesterday

I am trying to figure out what I am going to eat and I am a little overwhelmed.  I am making baked potatoes for tonight with butternut squash.  Probably not the BEST but it's a lot better than some of my choices.

Delete Edit

John 10.16.14        

11 badges

John 10.16.14
22 hours ago

I think those are a very good direction.  It's hard to say Ellen, people's habits are so different. And then there's the advertisements that exploit good beneficial things by claiming IT'S THE ONLY WAY, IT'S THE BIGGEST THING, DON'T DO THAT, THATS BAD FOR YOU. AND ETC.  Of course it can be overwhelming and confusing but you did real good with the baked potato and squash.

This reminds me of when I quit smoking. I know I needed to but it was quite overwhelming figuring out how I was going to go about doing it. BUT we did that didn't we? In all the confusion and anxiety of quitting smoking, I remember what I did first. Well before my quit date, I made a plan. That plan did not start off with "Stop Smoking" It started with reducing my cigarettes to 20 per day from 40.

Remember how you succeeded with quitting smoking. 3 STEPS:

Step 1: Re-Learn Habit - Soooo Let's just pay closer attention to our eating habits. (YOU are already doing this because of what you wrote. You are thinking about it and making adjustments) I think you are doing exactly the right thing. And you may continue to do this for a few weeks and I think that would be great because we have to Re-Learn our Habits. (And that takes time)

I think I'll start a separate discussion about the 3 steps. Thanks Ellen 

REMEMBER WHAT JENNIFER WROTE: Everything in moderation. I am a strong advocate for that perspective. It comes in very handy when I start binge eating a deliciously cooked meal. (I'm trying to re-learn that bad habit)

Delete Edit

0 Kudos
John10forteen

Go to Group Discussion and then.......

John 10.16.14        

11 badges

John 10.16.14
3 days ago

..... just click on the "ADD TOPIC" and we'll all be able to comment.

I'm so excited.... I did not want to get this mixed up with quitting smoking blog. We can still blog if we think the two subjects are strongly connected but if if only about our personal healthy journey we can use this "Group Discussion"

Delete Edit

0 Kudos
John10forteen

Group Concern

John 10.16.14        

11 badges

John 10.16.14
3 days ago

Quitting smoking is of the UTMOST IMPORTANCE, and if you have to eat to stay quit eat your little heart out.

With the exception of extreme weight issues and eating disorders, this site is about quitting smoking. AND THAT REMAINS TO BE THE HEALTHIEST BENEFIT so if you have a choice between a snickers and a cigarette.... take the freaking snickers.

With that said, this group was started because when we have that AHA MOMENT with quitting smoking, we want to share and expand that aha moment to other healthy avenues.

If we can embrace and enjoy not smokingg as much as we do, why not enjoy and embrace healthy habits and share the joys along with the trials BUT never if our quit is in danger.... NEVER... it's not woth it at all!

Delete Edit

0 Kudos
John10forteen

Description:

When I quit smoking in the past, I failed. I succeeded this time because I was informed, and I learned that being smoke free is a great journey that is so much more than not smoking a cigarette.

Obviously food is a necessity and not an addiction but like cigarettes food habits can be bad for your health. I noticed parallels with my excuses about eating as I once had about smoking.

It is these parallels and lessons I would like to apply to healthy eating habits to obtain the same success with my weight issues as I did with my smoking issues.

Example 1: Setting a quit date for smoking. I kept putting it off, thinking about it, etc. and when I did commit to a quit date, the closer it got, the more scared I got. NOW I am in the same EXACT place about setting a healthy diet date. I haven't committed to a date yet.

Example 2: Because it's heavy on my mind, like when I was thinking about quitting smoking..... sometimes I would remind myself not to smoke a cigarette I usually would have. Not really committed to anything but trying to back off a bit. 

I'm a sucker for Pizza's, Any Food Truck, especially hot dogs and Fast Foods from the dollar menu. (Not healthy stuff). Running errands the other day, I passed all of those devilish dens and refrained. It was tough! They were serious food craves and that's all... I wasn't hungry, I had no particular food I desired ... I just needed to eat something for some reason. Because I deserved it, it’s my reward for running errands.  (Same as cigarette, right?)

But when I got home, I pigged out. Kind of like when I would forget my cigarettes at home when running errands and upon getting home, rushing to that pack and smoking 3 or 4 in a row.

Example 3: The obvious benefits of sharing our stories together.

0 Kudos
John10forteen

10 Members 10 Journeys…. so far

ARCHIVED 3/26/15

John 10.16.14        

11 badges

John 10.16.14
24 days ago

I just learned how to use the group discussion and thought it would be nice to summarize all the previous comments.

Three HIPS and one HOORAY for DJ started her first day, Hip Hip Hip Hooray… and got used to the soup in the process. A big welcome to Bonnie sharing Leslie Sansone “Just Walk” DVD and mentioned Matcha Tea, I don’t know what that is but I also believe in teas in general.  The great wisdom of Jennifer (Everything in Moderation). Nutrition is Ellen’s  quest as it should be all of ours, and Barbara reminds us “Every” day we should eat healthy and walk, which I think Marilyn agrees with but Just wants the SNOW to GO away so she can. And then there’s kittyquits, a newbie all the way around. We want her to master her quit but glad to have her aboard.

Delete Edit

elvan        

12 badges

elvan
24 days ago

Wow, growing like a weed, John.  I just heard about a book on the Paleo Diet which is basically eating like our ancestors did.  I have a brother who sent me Grain Brain, advocating no grains, all gluten free, no sugar, no dairy.  I am lactose intolerant but I still eat fat free yogurt every day.  I LOVE pasta and love making tomato sauce to put on the pasta.  I also love bread, thanks a lot, Marilyn.  And, my biggest downfall is sugar.  At the beginning of my quit, I did cut way back because it made my craves stronger.  I also worked out regularly and have not felt well enough to do that for a few months.  I NEED to get back into the swing of things.  You have all inspired me to have something to offer here...just not sure what it is going to be.  I want to FEEL better.  I cut my intake of Diet Coke, drink tons of water, but still look for really baaaad food to snack on.  I might at least try to read that Grain Brain book and see if I can adapt it to my budget.  Gluten free, grain free food is expensive.

You are doing a great service, John, thanks.

Delete Edit

John 10.16.14        

11 badges

John 10.16.14
24 days ago

We can thank DJ for this activity. I would have dismissed the idea if she hadn't encouraged it on and went on a recruitment spree.

I heard of the Paleo diet but have little knowledge of it. And as far as Grain Brain... never heard of it.

We make our own greek yogurt. and I beleive the lactose stuff gets drained away with the excess whey, that's probably why it doesn't effect you too badly.

I am glad you like and are part of the group. (By the way... I love all the same stuff you do.).

Delete Edit

Bonnie 12-28-2014        

9 badges

Bonnie 12-28-2014
24 days ago

I think this is the one I ordered but I also think I found something better on a different site and next time I won't order the powder but here is a picture.  From everything it says I'm going to give it a try.  I have never been on a diet and dont want to be.  I am just cutting back and I have always tried to eat healthy.  Not all day, that's not fun for me.  I believe in the 80/20.  Eat 80 good and 20 percent what you want.  I am always up for good suggestions so want to see what the book says you are getting Elvan.  

Delete Edit

elvan        

12 badges

elvan
24 days ago

Oh dear, we're a great pair.  I am going to do a little research, I am not a fan of cooking so my diet will have to either be a raw diet or something really easy because there is no way I am spending a lot of time cooking.

Delete Edit

elvan        

12 badges

elvan
24 days ago

If I am going to be honest here...I believe in the 80/20 too but the other way around. I am not a fan of green tea but I hear wonderful things about it and the benefits of drinking it.

Delete Edit

Bonnie 12-28-2014        

9 badges

Bonnie 12-28-2014
24 days ago

Elvan LOL:):).  what about starting out with 50/50 and see how that does.  Unlike quiting smoking getting in shape can be whatever you want.  It's not all or nothing.  Getting more active and just making a few changes will go a long way.  

I just know that's what I'm trying I want to know what you find out but seriously I am not giving up my grains.  I LOVE GRAINS.  I could give up meat before I could give up bread.  I have tried things gluten free.  Ughhhh

Delete Edit

elvan        

12 badges

elvan
24 days ago

I have the book, my brother gave it to me, the Grain Brain one, I think the Paleo Diet is probably similar.  No dairy, no sugar (yeah, that's not gonna happen)...not sure about the grains.  I left the book at work but I will pick it up Wednesday when I go back.

OK..50/50 it is...I hope it's too late to start today because I have already blown that unless I eat a WHOLE lot more to get 50% good food in.  I am really baaaaad about food.

I have actually tried some gluten free that I would not have known was gluten free unless I was told.  My son can make cupcakes that are vanilla/cinnamon and gluten free and I could eat an entire batch.  I make him bake them for birthdays, Mother's Day, etc.  

I am very willing to try to increase my activity as my body will allow. 🙂

Delete Edit

John 10.16.14        

11 badges

John 10.16.14
24 days ago

I Googled Brain Grain, Paleo, Matcha tea. Very, Very interesting stuff to me. 

If memory serves me right, the Atkins diet was "One of" if  not Thee one diet that put low carb diets on the map

I''m not a fan of long term one sided diets BUT I think they are Great for kicking off a healthy regimen. One awesome accomplishment of these diets is they keep you away from processed foods. After a period I think it is imperative to address a balanced, moderate, portioned food plan. jmho

I checked out the Matcha Tea, Myself being a fan of juicing and tea's I was happy to be informed of this product. I've made pots of green tea before to add to my juices. Bonnie, you said you found something better and not a powder. What and where did you find that something else?

Shoveling has been my activity, Really it's a good thing, cause it's too cold to do anything else.

Delete Edit

Bonnie 12-28-2014        

9 badges

Bonnie 12-28-2014
23 days ago

The one you see above is from Amazon.  I found it cheeper on Nuts.com and what I like is that it states 100% so evidently they all might not be.  

100% MATCHA GREEN TEA POWDER

100% Matcha Green Tea Powder       

• +1
  •           
  •  
  •           
  •           
  •  
  •           
  • Pin It
  •          

I love this tea and knowing that it is healthy makes it all the better. My items arrived a day earlier than expected. Thank you for the Organic Cacao Nibs can't wait to try them. I will definitely be coming back to try your snacks.          

Michelle, National City, CA

4.9 out of 5 stars         

217 customer revie

Delete Edit

John 10.16.14        

11 badges

John 10.16.14
23 days ago

Thanks Bonnie, I think we get our bulk spirolina and tumeric from nuts.com, so thats great. Spirolina and Tumeric are touted as super foods too.

Delete Edit

elvan        

12 badges

elvan
23 days ago

How do you use the Spirolina and Tumeric?  Do you add them to things you are making?  Tumeric has long been touted as a remedy for RA and I would be really curious about how to incorporate it.  I am acutely aware of how bad my diet is, particularly today.  I have no energy, my breathing is alarmingly bad, and my pain levels are through the roof.  

I am willing to try anything at this point, even eating healthy.  I remember the craze with the Atkins Diet and a coworker and I tried it even though neither one of us needed to lose weight.  We had both quit smoking and wanted to make sure we did not gain.  It was incredibly expensive and I think we had worse breath from the diet than we did when we were smoking.

I am going to go to nuts.com and order this tea.  Thanks to both of you.

Delete Edit

John 10.16.14        

11 badges

John 10.16.14
23 days ago

Spirolina and Tumeric can be added to anything like soups, stews, salad dressings, rice. But for more intense consumption I mix the two together in a small jelly jar and into a thin paste or thick gravy consistency. I use it for my juices, my teas and sometimes just with hot water. A big ole tablespoon or two of the Slurry does a body good. My wife ac

0 Kudos
John10forteen

ARCHIVED 3/27/15 

Blog Title 3/1/15: Joining You

Bonnie B. I quit on 02-08-15  Comments (5)

Send a message   Add friend   View Bonnie B. I quit on 02-08-15's Blog

I know my quitting smoking is my most important priority right now But I know i am already eating more and have gained a few pounds in just 3 weeks . Because i tend to get canker sores from hard candyor gum even the sugarless gum , I cannot use those as a substitute for the cigarettes . Being overweight is almost as unhealthy as smoking . My daughter quit smoking over 10 years ago and put on at least 40 or 50 punds since then and became diabetic now she is losing the  weight and her doctor said her blood sugar is almost normal again . I lost 20 pounds a few years ago and felt so much better phsically and mentally I would hate to gain it back again . Any advice i can learn from this group will be great !

Edit         Delete   

More Sharing ServicesShare     |     Share on facebook     Share on twitter      

Comments (5)

Barbara     

6 badges

Hi Bonnie.  Walking everyday helps with weight gain alot!  Your quit has got to be your first priority.  Quitting smoking is difficult.  It takes all your energy.  If you focus on weight early in a quit, you could easily lose your quit.

Barbara 25 days ago

Delete

Dancingthrulife (6.4.13)     

9 badges

Hi Bonnie!  Congratulations on your wonderful three weeks!!  That is lovely.  I realize many people worry about weight gain during the early days of their quit, but being overweight is usually no way as unhealthy as smoking.  Start finding physical activities you like to do....hula hoop in your living room if it's cold out.  Walk up and down stairs.  Dance in the kitchen.  Just move!!  And don't forget to eat healthy as well.  Carrot sticks, celery....anything crunchy helps.  Eat 6 small meals a day rather than three large.  Suck on ice chips. 

You have already identified that weight is important to you....great that you want to stay healthy!!  But don't use that as a waivering reason to think of smoking again, ok?  Stay quit!!

Dancingthrulife (6.4.13) 25 days ago

Delete

8 badges

So glad that you've joined our group where we're dealing with weight/health/exercise.  For anyone who's interested, it's in Groups, called Cravings -- Food vs ciggs.

djmurray Quit Date 12-31-14 25 days ago

Delete

Thomas(3-20-2010)     

10 badges

You’d have to gain about 100 pounds to equal the negative health consequences of being a pack-a-day smoker, according to Pat Folan, RN, the director of the North Shore-LIJ Center for Tobacco Control in Great Neck, N.Y

That's not likely even if you don't try to control your weight. However, you don't have to gain weight!

http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/features/stopping-weight-gain-while-quitting-smoking

Don't let this Nico-lie get the best of you!

Thomas(3-20-2010) 25 days ago

Delete

elvan     

12 badges

Thomas is right, the weight you would have to gain to equal the damage done by smoking is phenomenal and it still probably would not be as bad as smoking.  My sister lost most of one lung and has advanced emphysema and she called me today and talked on the phone while she was walking.  I have a GREAT deal of difficulty talking when I walk, I have a great deal of difficulty walking.  I was trying to sweep a little when she called and she told me I needed to sit down because I sounded so short of breath. Her breathing was better than mine, she has been eating gluten free, all organic food because her daughter and granddaughter moved in and that is what they "demand"...she has lost 15 lbs since the end of December.  She said she really DOES feel better.

elvan 24 days ago

0 Kudos
John10forteen

ARCHIVED 3/27/15

Blog Title 2/25/15: One's Action Often Leads to Anothers Success  Leads to Another s Success

John 10.16.14   Comments (6)

Send a message   Add friend   View John 10.16.14's Blog

Often when we are thankful for some small thing someone else has done, it can bless us in the most profound way.

Edit         Delete   

More Sharing ServicesShare     |     Share on facebook     Share on twitter      

Comments (6)

marilynhotgram     

9 badges

You are sooooooo right about that, congrats on your ongoing wonderful, stupendous quit. 

marilynhotgram 30 days ago

Delete

Hampton     

8 badges

I love when I see or feel somethng so small coming from another's heart. It makes me want to hurry and pass it along.:)

Hampton 30 days ago

Delete

Dancingthrulife (6.4.13)     

9 badges

This is true 🙂  Very nicely said, John!!

Dancingthrulife (6.4.13) 30 days ago

Delete

Ms. J   November, 10 2013     

10 badges

Amen John, Amen!!

Jackie

Ms. J November, 10 2013 30 days ago

Delete

Mike n @lanta     

9 badges

Amen Brother.

Keep on keepin on,

M n @

Mike n @lanta 30 days ago

Delete

Bonnie 12-28-2014     

9 badges

So true and there is a lot of love shared on this site.  

Bonnie 12-28-2014 26 days ago

Delete

0 Kudos
John10forteen

ARCHIVED 3/27/15

There's DAY ONE !!! and then there's ONE DAY.....

March 3, 2015 by John 10.16.14   Comments (11)

Send a message   Add friend   View John 10.16.14's Blog

craves.... food vs ciggs

"One Day....." is as important as "Day One." As I am the proud owner of 138 smokefree days, they started with "Day One." But Day One would never have happened if I did not commit to One Day...( I Will.)

One Day...... without conviction is just wishful thinking. But with conviction it is the locomotive to DAY ONE

Welcome all you newcomers! Stay strong, It gets easier, healthier and better.

Edit        Delete  

More Sharing ServicesShare    |    Share on facebook    Share on twitter     

Comments (11)

Ms. J   November, 10 2013    

10 badges

Well said John!

Jackie

Ms J

478 dof

Ms. J November, 10 2013 24 days ago

Delete

marilynhotgram    

9 badges

Congratulations John, WTG 138 precious smoke free days and counting. 

Marilyn 

marilynhotgram 24 days ago

Delete

Wisconsin    

8 badges

Excellent way of looking at it. You can't have Day One without first doing One Day. Great job on 138 days of freedom.

Terry

Wisconsin 24 days ago

Delete

Shawn❤Quit❤03-17-2012    

11 badges

Simple words, yet effective 🙂

Shawn❤Quit❤03-17-2012 24 days ago

Delete

jonescarp aka dale (1-2007)    

9 badges

So

DAY WON!

jonescarp aka dale (1-2007) 24 days ago

Delete

John 10.16.14    

11 badges

If it is to be, It is up to me. (Wow, that packs a punch!)

A profound hard truth to accept sometimes; but when done, we  become a positive force within ourselves that others learn to love.

John 10.16.14 24 days ago

Delete

John 10.16.14    

11 badges

GOOD WON Dale

John 10.16.14 24 days ago

Delete

annb❤10.30.2014    

9 badges

Great blog John!! "LIKE"!!! :)))

annb❤10.30.2014 24 days ago

Delete

annb❤10.30.2014    

9 badges

Oops sent too soon! And Congrats on your wonderful 138!!! Hope you are enjoying the other side of NML!!!

annb❤10.30.2014 24 days ago

Delete

elvan    

12 badges

I like that, thanks.

elvan 24 days ago

Delete

Bonnie 12-28-2014    

9 badges

Powerful words!!  Your Awesome John.  

NOPE

Bonnie 12-28-2014 23 days ago