cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

blueeyedcubtn

Just began this program...first day and went 7 hours without smoking.

I work in food service, and we all know this is a fast-paced business. When I am the MIC, I do not get an opportunity really to take any smoke breaks. Today I went from 4pm-11pm without a single cigarette! In fact, I didn't even have time to THINK about one. However, when the store finally closed the first thing I did was sit down for a minute to take a breather before starting the paperwork and inventory counts. This is when I pulled out the cigarettes. I had ONE. I did NOT smoke in the car on the way home (it was too cold outside to roll down the window and I MUST roll down the window to smoke) and waited an hour after I got home to have another. So far, so good I think! 

One of my biggest triggers is alcohol. It's going to be tough avoiding it because my partner and I love our booze to the point of nearly being addicted to it. I have not had a single drink tonight...and I think quitting smoking is going to have to mean quitting the drink also. 

It's now 5:30am and in all today I've had only 7 cigarettes. Tomorrow I hope it is less. I need to kick this habit because it blows my mind to think how much money I've been investing in my own possibly horrible death! It will be difficult because my partner has no intention of quitting. The crankiness I experience while trying to quit has caused him to BEG for me to smoke again the past times I've seriously tried. I went four days and he handed me a smoke and asked me to please return to normal. I can't keep doing that!

Tags (1)
13 Replies
gardenbeulah

My husband is a smoker & he seems to sabotage my effort to quit smoking. I'm @ my wits end!! This is so hard!!!

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry to hear that gardenbeulah‌!  These posts may help. There is also Smoking Partners‌. Others have tried this and it's helped /blogs/Anacondahead-blog/2010/12/28/a-letter-to-my-loved-ones-to-help-support-me-while-i-quit?sr=sea...

EX Community Admin Team
maryfreecig

Ex is perfect for you then. No one here is going to sabotage your quit. Not even close. Yes you can quit!

JACKIE1-25-15

Here is a blog that may interest you. Dealing with mate /friends that still smoke   There are quite a few Exer's that had to deal with a mate that smokes/smoked.  Don't think that it is not possible. It is doable. Read Study Blog.  Stay close. You can do it. 

indingrl

Good job progress is your goals and works for you less and less and then no nicotine used at all.... Yahoooo.... and then NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF EVER ONE BREATHE AT A TIME! 

0 Kudos

You sound like you understand what's going on. Do you have a quit date?

The crankiness is your body adjusting without the nicotine and the changes in your routine.

This lasts 2-3 weeks

It's your life

It's your money you're spending

It's your future and quality of life

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/thread/6225-where-does-it-come-from 

JACKIE1-25-15

I think quitting smoking is going to have to mean quitting the drink also. 

You are absolutely correct on this point.  Many a quit has been sabotaged over a drink. 

When we start this journey sometimes we have to change the people places and things (alsohol) for a while in order to make a change.  We have to set boundaries and let our friends and family know that we are quitting smoking.  One day a time with support quitting is doable. Get rid of all smoking paraphernalia. Having the right attitude plays a major part in being successful. Also, you must educate yourself about nicotine addiction.  NOPE (Not One puff ever) will keep you free.  

Start First, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  Education is the key to a successful quit.

Understand the law of addiction."

Law of Addiction 

Administration of a drug to an addict will cause re-establishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance."

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101   Here are the links      http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/  

Also Read   Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.  Which can be purchased of found pdf format on the internet. You can start here My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  Help Community to learn how to navigate around the site. 

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

2010 Blog Oh Well hope you are smoke-free.  gardenbeulah‌ I guess you could use the information. 

0 Kudos