cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
terry-morache

Pets may help people quit smoking

by Jacques Von Lunen, Special to The Oregonian
Saturday August 01, 2009, 6:48 AM

Smokers with pets may be more motivated to put out their butts forever.Not to pat ourselves on the back too hard, but it turns out the kind of information we provided in a January article about the effects of secondhand smoke on pets may save some human lives, too.

A study published by the American Veterinary Medical Association today found that pet owners who are informed about the burden their smoking poses for their pets are more likely to quit. The study, conducted by the Henry Ford Health System's Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, surveyed 3,293 adult pet owners.

Within that survey group, 21 percent currently smoked and 27 percent lived with a smoker.

Presented with the facts about secondhand smoke and pets, many of the pet owners said they were ready to change their habits:

• 28 percent of smokers said they would try to quit.
• 8.7 percent of smokers would ask other smokers in their house to quit.
• 16.4 percent of non-smokers who live with a smoker would ask their housemate to quit and 24.2 percent would ask them to only smoke outdoors.
• 40 percent of smokers said they wanted to receive information on quitting and the effects of secondhand smoke.

Maybe living with an animal has even more health benefits than we already knew about.

-- Jacques Von Lunen; pets@jvonlunen.com
Tags (1)
4 Replies
joymae

I know that after loosing two beloved dogs to smoking related cancer, proven by autopsy, I had a major wake up call to quitting smoking. Prior to that, You could have given me a ton of research to prove that my smoking affected my pets health and I would have laughed long and hard at you and it. As a Laboratory Technician, Certified Nursing Assistant, Certified Medication Assistant and having 3 - 1/2yrs of college twards an RN Degree, I knew the Cold Hard Facts about smoking. It just didn't matter to me. It was knowledge and that was it. I could apply the information to assist you/ others but not myself. I didn't count in the great scheme of things, Others did. The real difference isn't how I view myself so much as it is wisdom.
"I would tell people I know this or that, but I don't know it either. You know." I had the knowledge, I just didn't know how to apply it to myself. I lacked true Wisdom. I am taking time these days to put anything new I learn into use on myself or in my life first. I also am applying old knowledge to myself. It is making major changes in my life. Thanks to the 1-800-Quit-Now people, this and other Web sites on Quitting I am gaining Widsom not just knowledge.
terry-morache

I am sorry for your loss. After year quit I still have my reasons for quitting posted next to the computer and my #1 reason is for my pets. Like you I knew all the resons why I should quit for myself and to be honest I didn't care when people pressured me to quit I would just smoke more. It was a day at my vets office when she got blunt with me and asked me if I knew what I was doing to my pets by smoking that I began to care about quitting. I could not find something for myself to make me quit but tell me that I was killing my beloved pets now that is another story all togther. 10 months after I quit one of my cats Mousie died from respertory problems caused by my smoking. That was the day that my quit became rock solid. I still feel guilt for her dying but it is not as bad as it was. Welcome to the group JoyMae
jconfusion

I quit smoking after I read how bad it is for my cat chaos he was born with damaged eyes,  but he wasn't healing either I decided to quit  for him and his eyes look great now itll be 6 years on sept 24.  I know it should have been for me but chaos is my son and my soulmate.  he is 13.  I'm still pissed at myself for even smoking around him.  quitting was really an easy choice to make after I read I wasn't helping his eyes.

THANK YOU...Another reason to Fight and Maintain MY QUIT!!! I am a new here...........Always had a dog since age 2 and in my 60's. i do everything I can to keep my fur-babies healthy and happy. 

0 Kudos