cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

william3

I am thinking that nicotine gum may be best...

I am still in my first few days of tracking my cigarette usage in regards to what I am doing. But I have looked over alot of the "EX" site and I feel I may need some assistance when it comes to staying off Cigs in the first 10 or so days. I would rather be prepared and have the gum in my pocket when a craving or irrational mood hits than to have just my mind to rely on, Lets face it my mind is going to say, "Have just one more, why put yourself through this".
The reason I am thinking gumis the best choice for me is i can carry it and only use it when it is necesary. There are Lozenges, of course, but I am afraid they will melt in my pocket in the summer weather.
I wouldlike to here about others experiences with gum.

William
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
megan2

The gum works the best for me because it is cheaper than the patch and after using the lozenge for some time, I hate it!! The lozenge reminds me of someone foaming at the mouth, because it is so chalky and gross.
The only way to go is the gum, for sure.
0 Kudos
kevin12

I would just suggest that you have a big bottle of water with you when you chew the gum. If I don't have water, I get the hiccups. I've heard this from others as well.

Just a thought... Good luck!

Kevin
william3

Thanks, for the advice!

Who sells the least expensive gum and do you use 2mg or 4mg?

William
0 Kudos
megan2

I use the 2 mg gum and just get the generic kind, not the nicorette brand kind. But if your used to smoking more than a pack a day, i'd go with the 4 mg gum. ( i like the mint). They have other flavors as well, like, fruit chill and nonflavored. hope this helps.
Oh and the gum is about $30 if you get the 40 piece one.
megan
0 Kudos
John-C.

William,

I am also quitting with the gum, and, like Megan, I prefer the generic kind (available at pharmacies and Wal-Mart). The Nicorette is too sweet for me (loaded with artificial sweeteners). I recommend experimenting to find which works better for you. I have been trying to quit for a number of months, found the EX site and now I am smoke-free for 4 days now (a real achievement). I was a pack-a-day smoker and I was cutting back, so I went for the 2 mg polacrilex gum. Despite the recommendations on the gum packaging, I have found it useful to be able to chew the gum after eating (I think they recommend waiting 20 minutes or so) and also having two pieces, one after the other (although this can make your jaw kind of sore due to the toughness of the gum). Keep at it, and best wishes!

-John
molly15

i use the 2 mg mint generic brand also... i got a 100 pack at cvs yesterday for $35.... should last me two or three weeks... i am chewing anywhere between 5 and 10 pieces a day... i am trying to use the gum only when i have a real intense urge to smoke... like after eating, after sex, or in the morning.... it is really hard. i just ate lunch and i really wanted to smoke afterwards... but i am gonna have a piece of gum instead. its crazy.... but even though i WANT to smoke i DONT have to ... what a strange concept. but i am really trying to do this, one second at a time
0 Kudos
candylance

No one has been here for a long time. I'm using the gum because it has worked fr me in the past. However after two years and coming upon a crisis, I said to myself, "One won't hurt."Then, "Well I can just have one after meals." Of course, the cough had cleared, my breathing was better and I didn't give stopping smoking any credit.

Now, as an AA member for 4 years, I know I can't take that first drink. I'm hoping that I can apply that to smoking. YOU CAN'T HAVE JUST ONE;.chew gum instead. By then it could have been any kind of gum. Just don't pick up that first cigarette!!!! Not EVER again!!