cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

cmt0485

I'm going for it!

OK, I am thinking about a date in July to quit.......
I'm super scared about this, but I can do it.
Any tips on setting a date?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
angel6

I set my date for after the holiday because I knew I woild be around alot of people that smoked, and I love to smoke when I go camping. So I set it for after that. I think you need to give youself enough time to prepare and separate.
Be honest with yourself about how long you need to get past your biggest triggers, I chose 3 weeks. I was scared at first too. In fact I had a panic attack when I set my date. I am super excited now, I just can't wait to be done. I thought I would just quit before my date, but I know I need that time to work the program. You are doing great, at least you have a time frame in mind , that is a good first step. You can do it! Be sure not to set your date around any major events happening in your life, its too hard to quit smoking under too much stress.
0 Kudos
cmt0485

Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate that 🙂
I did a sprint tri-athlon last October, and I am planning on doing another one in August, so that is my motivation at this point. It's amazing how much more I can do when I can breathe better. Last year after it was over, I slowly started again, my goal is to quit, forever. My problem is almost everyone I know is a smoker, and I am concerned that being around people smoking, even after a few weeks/months is just going to kill me. What alternatives are you planning on when you get a powerful craving?
0 Kudos
angel6

I am making a punching bag that looks like a cigarette. Whenever I get a craving, I am going to beat the stuff right out of it! I also plan on brisk walking, then when I can breathe again will go jogging. I cant walk and smoke at the same time. Also, if you have any non-smoking friends, go out and do stuff with them alot. They will probably be your best allies in getting you away from smoking situations. Go to a theatre where you can't smoke. Go to the place you train for your tri-athalon. Get mad at the crave, and put all of that energy into you training.

Mostly I plan on keeping myself so busy during the first week, I won't have time to smoke.
0 Kudos
cmt0485

That's a great concept. Get mad at the crave...........
I think that could really work
0 Kudos
angel6

I think that is how I am going to beat it this time.

Good luck to you! Keep me posted on your progress.

Angel
0 Kudos