cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

roseweber24

Afraid to commit to a quit date

I was counting on using nicotine patches, but it looks like it affects your blood pressure and heart rate and also lists ulcers as a reason not to use them. All of those are a problem for me. 

im thinking instead of quit date, at least right now, I should try to tackle my triggers. For example I broke the habit of smoking while driving. Now I need to disassociate smoking with completing a task. Am I being a coward. Is this not the right way to go?

I smoke exactly 7 cigarettes a day. That shouldn’t be that difficult to quit, but it seems that it is. 

Labels (1)
4 Replies
MarilynH

Welcome to the community @roseweber24 please read everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT with commitment and perseverance you will perservere through whatever comes your way, I don't know anything about the patch so I'm no help there. I read and kept on reading everything I could find right here on this site it helped strengthen my resolve to quit smoking I picked a quit date and when it arrived I wasn't ready so I reset it and kept my mind as well as my hands occupied, you can do this when you're ready pick your quit date and when your day ONE arrives keep your mind as well as your hands occupied and at the end of the day you'll be able to say YAY for Day WON with many more. Stay close because we're all here to help you in any way we can....

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@roseweber24 Welcome to the Ex. 

Even though you don't smoke a lot, you're still addicted to nicotine.   You're brain is used to having it everyday, so make the commitment to do the work to become an Ex.   Read everything you can on the site to learn about nicotine addiction.  This link will give you some good tools to use to begin your journey.  https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

I quit smoking in my cars and house prior to quitting, so that did help when I finally quit. There's no right way to do this.  It's what work for you.   Picking a quit date is a choice, but I found it gave me a goal as I worked on preparing for my quit.   

Being afraid to quit is common.  We've associated smoking with every activity and emotion, good or bad.  I overcame the fear when I realized it was a choice.  I could smoke again if I chose to.  I only had to do it for one day.  If you approach it one day at a time you can do it too.  It took me 50 years to finally get it.  

We're here to support you every step of the way.  So reach out anytime you need support, want to share or to support other quitters.

Barb

Note: If you want to use an aid there are several available so check with your doctor.   I've used the patch several times and I have high blood pressure (they even gave them to me when hospitalized.   

But I'm reading that "NRT has not yet been proven to help people who smoke fewer than 10 cigarettes a day. But many tobacco treatment centers do use NRT for people who are "light smokers." Talk with your health care provider about a lower dose of NRT if you smoke less than that but feel you need nicotine replacement."

Anonymous
Not applicable

I commend you for doing some research @roseweber24 . Good job . I did not do that and most people don't . The patch did exactly as you say for me .. increased my heart rate and my blood pressure . It was very uncomfortable . It did however take the edge off but due to those side effects you mentioned I chose not to . Thanks for the reminder . 

This said , if you are considering an NRT keep researching , speak with your PCP  and listen to your gut .. there are other NRTs but are they necessary , I'm not sure . People  say cold turkey is harder .. . I felt personally for me that using NRT was only an option for me  because I was scared and scared of craves . Craves are a part of the process of recovery and healing . Not everyone will have craves either . 

FyI 

A cold turkey option was what  I decided was best for me . I am an all or nothing person . Cold turkey for me was great .. was it harder or easier .. I think we are all different so  for me no it was not harder . Deciding to quit was /is  harder . 

As far as you questioning feeling your choice is right or wrong only you can answer that . You know you best .. just keep the  goal in mind .  If your quit is goal focused and not addiction driven then I think your decision is right for you . 

0 Kudos
Taytortot27

I just want to start by saying you're doing great! Just do what works for you. You're down to 7 a day that's great but maybe now try going down to 6 and then a week later go down to 5 and then keep doing that until you reach 0. And just keep in mind once you get down to 0 you NEVER have to smoke again. You'll never have to go through this part again. Yes you'll always have random urges to smoke but they won't be as intense. Just know you got this and you can do this. ❤️